Dyna-Tech 753 Super U mystery

Here is Le Professeur on a Dnya-Tech made in Reyonlds 735 for the Ronde van Nederland in 1989.

We sponsored him as part of the Super U team in 1989 and as part of the Castorama team in 1990 and 1991. Their help in the development of Dyna-Tech was invaluable.

Attachments

• Fignon.jpg
    Fignon.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3,579
I know this might be a slight hi-jack but while we're on the subject of team issue Raleighs I've found this shot of Jean-Francois Bernard (Graham Watson again, he is a superb photographer of cycling subjects!) which must have been taken in 1990 as this is the only year Toshiba rode on Raleighs.

Question is, was the frame a Special Products build?

Attachments

• JFBernard90.jpg
    JFBernard90.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3,515
To the best of my memory, we never sponsored Toshiba.

1989 it was Super U - Raleigh - Fiat
1990 it was Castorama - Raleigh
1991 it was Castorama - Raleigh

bikemeister2000":291mrpj2 said:

That's what I thought and I was rather surprised when I found this photo. However, the 'Memoire de Cyclisme' website says bikes were supplied by both Raleigh and Look - and J-P F's bike definitely has Raleigh on it!

bikemeister2000":354qz6ez said:

Very odd indeed. Castorama is the only overseas squad I recall having Raleigh sponsorship at that time, and "Jeff"'s bike is clearly in Castorama colours even though he was a Toshiba rider. Scrounging another team's spare machine as a last resort due to a mechanical maybe?? Doesn't wholly explain the name transfer on the top tube though....

David

Just found this (another Graham Wastson masterpiece I think) showing Martial Gayant in the Toshiba jersey in Paris-Roubaix 1990 very definitely riding a Raleigh.

Attachments

• 1990ParisRoubaix.jpg
    1990ParisRoubaix.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,836
Old Ned":3enmmgvw said:
Question is, was the frame a Special Products build?

Does anyone know about those time trial frames used by SuperU/Castorama in '89 and 90? They were rather tasty. Were they from Special Products or elsewhere?

5282777369_8692598347_b.jpg

Well, it is certainly not a frame made at SBDU.

I do remember that team principle Cyrille Guimard did source some frames from a builder in France or Italy. The Castorama team continued without Raleigh until 1995.

JF Bernard was with Toshiba from 1987 to 1990 and then moved on to Banesto in 1991.

paul_tea":1gtmg602 said:
Does anyone know about those time trial frames used by SuperU/Castorama in '89 and 90? They were rather tasty.
nah, they were about 8 seconds too slow ;)

Re:

I believe the TT Castorama frames were made by Cyfac. I recently acquired Thierry Marie's frame in a trade for my Raleigh 753R and his at least was made by Cyfac

Back