Drowning in a sea of retro (fleet rationalisation content)

ian , you mention a move later in the year , so surely boxing bikes up in preperation for the move would be first priority ,i'm assuming your going to have more space in the new house ,shed /garage loft etc ?
would be wrong to sell off stuff at the moment as in a years time when youv'e unpacked and settled in a bit the " i had someware" situation will arise .if your going to be there long term the re-organisation of bike space and use makes anything you do at the moment a bit insignificant

i know what you mean about the madness tho

Some good advice going on here.... ;)

If you are into riding, then it will be a bit more emotional and time consuming to root out what performs and what brings a smile for the terrain where you will move to.

If you are collecting, does it not boil down to ££££££ ? Keep the high value stuff, and shed the rest.

IMHO Postponing the problem will help; don't confuse house moving with having too many projects because when you settle down in new space it may be comforting to get wrenching again in a whole new environment ;)

Its hard when space is an issue

I have to pretty much empty the whole shed to get to what i want then knowing the British weather it will rain and ruin what i wanted to do its hard to stay motivated and i have months when i just cant be bothered to try but in the end the thirst for retro returns and the hassle begins to pale into insignificance

just hang in there

I think someone mentioned the boxing the finished projects up idea i think this could be a really good option will protect the finished bikes and make moving easier later on i was considering doing this myself boxing up three or four bikes and sticking them in the loft clear some space in the shed till i can afford a bigger shed

it will also allow slightly easier access to what you want to get at in the unfinished projects

I don't think you're going to get any sensible advice here (you haven't had any yet :roll: ). It's like trying to get advice on quitting drinking from a bunch of alkies.
Get one bike rideable, ride it, and plan a nice build for one more. Sell the rest of your stuff and spend less time on here.
Space would seem to be the least of your problems.

One of each type.

One full suss
One Hardtail
One rigid
and if you must, one garage queen.

stick to that, sell and buy to upgrade as you go along.

toaster999":2ekgqtyy said:
One of each type.

One full suss
One Hardtail
One rigid

...oh. and let's not forget:

One Single Speed (mandatory)
One 1 x9 woody single track affair
One 2 x 9 fireroad affair
One Steel rig
One Alloy rig
One Ti rig

Do you really need that cumbersome lawn mower in view of this?

:idea:

Woz":r3hz43m9 said:
toaster999":r3hz43m9 said:
One of each type.

One full suss
One Hardtail
One rigid

...oh. and let's not forget:

One Single Speed (mandatory)
One 1 x9 woody single track affair
One 2 x 9 fireroad affair
One Steel rig
One Alloy rig
One Ti rig

Do you really need that cumbersome lawn mower in view of this?

:idea:
Yeah i forgot frame type, good point :? I also have a carbon racer, Alu racer and and eddy Mercx racer in my shed.....

lets not forget an early full suss a mid 90's full suss and a modern full suss
ohh and a dx ,xt and cnc wishlist version of the same bike

It's very rational to keep a specific "errand" bike too rather than use your other lovely retro top drawer ones. Similar grade to a pub bike, but with a better saddle for slightly longer distances because you will be sober. It still should not be attractive to thieves of course, so nothing to blingy or shiney.

BTW: Don't confuse the "errand" bike to the "hack" bike.

Back