Drowning in a sea of retro (fleet rationalisation content)

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So today I took the day off work with big plans afoot:

- complete my pace build
- complete my dbr axis ti build
- complete (finally) my mongoose amplifier build
- sort through my stash and work out what's what for other builds

A few hours later after carefully getting everything out of where it was stored (a chore in itself) I spent an age doing little things on the pace (why oh why is it so hard to set up machine tech brakes?) then I discover I e got the wrong m900 front mech (top pull, not bottom), not got enough cable outer or inner for the brakes, the turquoise ano ferrules don't fit old cables etc etc, and my mind starts to think about the hassle of all the builds I've yet to complete, the ones I've yet to begin and the fact that I've so much retro stuff it is sometimes hard to think about where to begin. I guess I'm losing motivation as I have so much to do and it seems a never ending battle to find the time, and even if I did manage that, I'm at the point where if I finish one more build, I've nowhere to safely store it (from the elements or thieves).

I'm at the point now where I think I should part with some of my bikes/builds but every time I start to think about which ones to keep and which ones to sell, I draw a blank. So I'm after some practical advice on how to set about this task. Keeping them all is an option, but one that based on the above, is not something I think I can do, so any help would be gratefully received.

Current builds and state of as follows:

Gator fade Klein rascal
Complete bar a couple of nice to haves

Gt team rts (my dream bike bitd)
Complete and sporting last seasons modern xtr, cross max ceramics and fox forks

Mongoose Amplifier
Stripped, powdercoated, new decals, m900 and awaiting some time to tinker with the rear shock mounting so it doesn't rattle

Pace RC200 F3
In progress, need to fettle a few things, get the right front mech

Dbr Axis Ti
Got all the parts and it is partially built but in a box as I have no space to store it when finished

Amp b3
Frame in a cupboard, xt m737 group set and parts all accumulated and ready (no time or storage)

Amp b5
Newly acquired but have pretty much everything to mount on it

Fat chance yo eddy
Again sourced an xc pro group set and the rest of the parts to build it, but not got time/space and also whilst ive always wanted to try one of these, the seat tube has been replaced and is no longer the standard fat size (pros and cons for this), but keep thinking about getting this replaced and/or just buildin as is

As you can see, a lot going on/to do but part of me is thinking of somehow consolidating some of the builds into an uber build/bike so that I have space for it, but other parts of me like the variety and potential.

Please help, I feel like I'm going insane and can't seem to resist buying yet more nice retrobike things.

I just can't say anything else except that I completely understand you and that I can't tell a bike enthusiast to ditch any of his projects.

Thinking about it, today I figured that the part changing algorithm on my bikes is similarly complicated with the trade talks in the NBA: you must see what to move and from where, it has to make sense, to fit in, to match the rest bla-bla-bla. The part moving on bikes in virtually endless, but I guess that is our burden. Not a bad one, you must agree!

Good luck!
Mx

I'd start by estimating how much I'd ride each one, then ditching the one tgatcsould get ridden least. As you have some unridden this is trickier. If it was me I would ditch one of the AMPs. One is enough.

Charlieboy28":3n0m6q61 said:
And the problem is what exactly :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
If only it were that simple and not becoming a problem (or should I say has already become)?

raymondluxuryyacht" ...If it was me I would ditch one of the AMPs. One is enough.[/quote said:
I have no Amps...

...You have too many Amps...

...I have no B3 frame in my cupboard...

;)

raymondluxuryyacht":3e8khwuw said:
I'd start by estimating how much I'd ride each one, then ditching the one tgatcsould get ridden least. As you have some unridden this is trickier. If it was me I would ditch one of the AMPs. One is enough.
The problem I have is that I don't ride any at the moment due to lack of time, opportunity and that I live in London so nowhere really to ride that is local, then time becomes a factor again. Hope to be moving later in the year and will then at least be more local to suitable terrain.

As for ditching an Amp, was thinking along the same lines actually. The Mongoose Amplifier is also an Amp under license. The newest addition to my collection is the Amp B5 and had planned an m952 build for this, the B3 was going to be an m737/9 build and the Mongoose an m900 affair. As the B5 is not quite considered retro, I am somewhat keen to experience a more modern full susser, to see how much they have moved forward. That said, what would be the main differences between the three Amps I have. I know that the Mongoose and B3 are pretty similar, apart from the dual down tubes on the Mongoose, and in my opinion less robust linkages/joins but I've no idea if this is true mechanically, just looks that way to me.

My_Teenage_Self":3qfjgwk4 said:
raymondluxuryyacht":3qfjgwk4 said:
...If it was me I would ditch one of the AMPs. One is enough.

I have no Amps...

...You have too many Amps...

...I have no B3 frame in my cupboard...

;)
I'm wary of this becoming a sale thread, which it isn't, but advice given may result in one or more of my projects being made available unless I'm convinced by others to keep everything. If the former becomes a reality, I shall of course let you know (the amp has the risse rear shock upgrade too ;) )

If your about to thin the fleet and it's because of cash needs then obviously you need to sell the ones that will give the best cash return but realistic prices will see them sold unrealistic will see them stay so breaking them might see the cash come in

If your just retro'd out and not feeling the love then out the ones that you would out without a single thought

If your outing some because a mixture of the above and the fleet is so big that you are just not riding them and they are exspensive ornaments then asking people for input is the best way.

Latest posts

Back