Drivetrain component clean and repair service

To be honest I only like cleaning parts that people have lost hope in.

No worries @Guinessisgoodforyou , it does, I would love it 😍
But if someone uses those clean parts and has an accident, you could be held liable. Happened to someone I knew long time ago. He serviced their bike, cleaned and lubed etc. A little while later the freewheel locked up, sending the rider into a crash, smashing their knee cap against the kerb edge. Accident investigation, revealed the locked up freewheel and the recent service. Court case followed and found the fault lay with the servicing. Thousands with many noughts on the end was the compensation ruling.

But if someone uses those clean parts and has an accident, you could be held liable. Happened to someone I knew long time ago. He serviced their bike, cleaned and lubed etc. A little while later the freewheel locked up, sending the rider into a crash, smashing their knee cap against the kerb edge. Accident investigation, revealed the locked up freewheel and the recent service. Court case followed and found the fault lay with the servicing. Thousands with many noughts on the end was the compensation ruling.
Precisely why I don't do favours.

If you're going to do crucial parts like drive train and brakes. Even for no monies, get yourself public liability insurance before doing so.

It's a good point. I do a lot of unpaid work on neighbours and friends bikes and this is always at the back of my mind. What I normally do is check it over twice on different days and go on a test ride. Then I hand it back, they go for a test ride and there is a verbal sign off and mutual understanding about liabilities and guarantees if all is well. To do it properly of course, it would need to be written down.

Really interesting about the liability stuff. Never thought about that. Kind of makes me wonder if any Danes think about that sort of stuff as, in my neck of the woods, we have often had to help one another with anything from car issues, electricity, plumbing and servicing of garden tools etc..

I've stopped fixing a lot of things for friends and neighbours over the years, for the various legal constraints that have been implimented i.e. Electrical house wiring, Gas boilers etc. Also lately, fixing anything electrical in case of fire hazards down the line, if it fails again, either from my work or just one of those things. Insurance companies are doing the investigations to save paying out and sometimes the authorities too in cases of harm to users/occupants!
I used to have public liabilty insurance many years ago when running a small engineering business as a side line but not since I closed it down.

Really interesting about the liability stuff. Never thought about that. Kind of makes me wonder if any Danes think about that sort of stuff as, in my neck of the woods, we have often had to help one another with anything from car issues, electricity, plumbing and servicing of garden tools etc..

I think there is truth in this - the Anglo Saxon / English speaking world seem much more "where's there a blame, there's a claim" culture.

Same here, we help each other a lot with all the things you say, but we also try to be a bit careful - mainly from the point of view of being miles away from A&E. The other thing is most of us are fairly practical and collectively with the right experience and tools informal jobs go well if not better than when a professional does it who is against the clock. A lot is really about having a good mutual understanding of the risks.

A good analogy is cooking for yourself - you have a legal right to poison yourself. When somebody else does the cooking for you (paid or unpaid), they have no legal right to poison you.

Even people who have liability things like that do terrible jobs. You shoudve seen the way someone put in gas in the house😲

Someone had chafed a cable when drilling a hole and the house was around 20cm from exploding🥵

I trust me and my dads way of putting things in the house and it works. And we can’t sue ourselves🤷‍♂️

I've stopped fixing a lot of things for friends and neighbours over the years, for the various legal constraints that have been implimented i.e. Electrical house wiring, Gas boilers etc. Also lately, fixing anything electrical in case of fire hazards down the line, if it fails again, either from my work or just one of those things. Insurance companies are doing the investigations to save paying out and sometimes the authorities too in cases of harm to users/occupants!
I used to have public liabilty insurance many years ago when running a small engineering business as a side line but not since I closed it down.
It is very relevant information and definitely worth thinking about.

I think there is truth in this - the Anglo Saxon / English speaking world seem much more "where's there a blame, there's a claim" culture.

Same here, we help each other a lot with all the things you say, but we also try to be a bit careful - mainly from the point of view of being miles away from A&E. The other thing is most of us are fairly practical and collectively with the right experience and tools informal jobs go well if not better than when a professional does it who is against the clock. A lot is really about having a good mutual understanding of the risks.

A good analogy is cooking for yourself - you have a legal right to poison yourself. When somebody else does the cooking for you (paid or unpaid), they have no legal right to poison you.
I like the cooking analogy. I have noticed that things have become increasingly controlled here when trades folk come round. House here is very old and the installations aren't exactly up to date. But they've run dishwashers and washing machines for decades, yet nowadays they won't install anything to it as it is illegal installations apparently. Its obvious a liability thing mainly, they won't go near it until we've had an electrician out replacing most of the stuff. We had one give it a go and he wired it wrongly so it was pulling far more than the appliance was meant for.

@Mod-Master

You're correct that even the licensed folks make a mess out of it but that's the point. If they do it they're protected to an extent, if you do it and it goes to feck, you can be in financial ruin

I still service my gas central heating and any rewiring etc lathe and milling machines in the garage but oxy acetylene is no more due to BOC rental costs vs usage not being equitable. Neighbours were glad to see that go 🤣
I let a few friends service/repair their cars here, using tools and my experience to assist but they do the majority of the work and are happy that way.
Might re install the electroplating system next year, undecided as yet. Tig welder also undecided, it's the gas rental again!

I like the cooking analogy too. I wouldn't dream of accepting any compensation from someone who had cooked for me unpaid and poisoned me. I might if it was food I had paid for, depending on the circumstances.

Back