Does anyone still use toeclips?

Used clips until I brought some XT pedals in about 90/91

Never used toeclips since then, SPDs just far to easy to use to be bothering with clips

Use flats on the BMX of course, you can do no foot cans clipped in lol

Gravy Monster":w4xb96di said:
I was out for a ride 3 weeks ago and one of my mates had a tumble (not big) and was is serious pain........... middle of no where .......... ambulance....... 5hr operation and plaster cast. He broke tibia fibula and dislocated his ankle out for socket All due to SPDs :?

He was a big fan of the spds and was an every day rider but will not be able to ride with them ever again
Holy smokes - that's put the fear of god into me now. I only ride SPDs!

Maybe there's a simple explanation like he had them done up too tight...

Best wishes to him though, here's to a speedy recovery. Now he'll have to ride flatties like all the cool kids!

Weon":1x5ke755 said:
Holy smokes - that's put the fear of god into me now. I only ride SPDs!

Maybe there's a simple explanation like he had them done up too tight...

Best wishes to him though, here's to a speedy recovery. Now he'll have to ride flatties like all the cool kids!

Not really sure why, His feet came out of the pedals but we think he may have had pressure whilst falling above or below his feet. His foot was not pointing straight which we knew straigt away it was serious.

Yes it is kinda firigenting but I could not do without my spds :shock:

Thanks for your kind wishes, He is not a retro head so wont be reading this :LOL: He is getting on ok but has just been signed off for another 6 weeks.

Scrat":j0fce1xj said:
Q; So all of you lot riding loose toe clips are riding platforms with flappy bits that achieve nothing and get in the way?

Sounds a bit odd.

Harden up and ride flat pedals, or pull on ya roady cap and clip in!

Oh they do something, as I really push my foot into the clip. Old road bike clips tending to be narrower and springier do it for me, the springiness grips, but it is easy to get the foot out again.

The only thing that concerns me with SPDs, is the horror stories I once heard about the things and what they can do to knees. My knee injury caused by slipping on mountain scree whilst carrying someone, is twenty years in the past, but for a few years after, that was one hell of a painful and debilitating part of my life I wish not to repeat. It even modified my gait and posture so much so I now do Iyengar yoga and belly dance to correct the problems, as problems lead to yet more problems and with age problems are no fun at all.

Back