Does anyone still use toeclips?

There is a sort of knack getting into toe clips, something like tapping the back of the pedal to tip it up before sliding the foot in. Something which is helped by the little tab sticking out the back of the pedal.

I start off riding with flats uppermost, but when moving, I do the tap thing and engage the toe clips for more power.

manitou916":2zjsbku9 said:
Exclusively. Always used them. Love 'em. Enjoy your toe clips!
same here :D (must admit trying spd's for 6 weeks, don't work for me :roll: )

Got them on my SS commuter, very loose but just enough for power upstrokes and slippery weather. tried off roading but can end up scooping dirt if ya dont get on em. Went with my modern set up last race. Gusset V8/DX style pedals stabbing into Shimano DX shoes, not too bad really except a few near roll offs. Never did SPDs BITD and don't fancy trying now.

They came as standard on my XPX & still use them. I have them loose so I can get my feet out quickly when my daughters on the back in her bike seat.

Spd's on my road bike & think they're great, but it's toe clips with the kids.

Have them on a build as they matched the bike otherwise I would have had clipless. Don't mind them, though they only lasted one outing before breaking them on rocks setting off, will fit a new set.

Toe clips are to Spd's what Leechs are to the medical proffesion - I guess toes might have a use on road bikes - but anything lumpy bumpy SPD's are much safer.

I dont use them for two reasons
1. They're dangerous ,near impossible to get out of when done up and you have to stop suddenly.
2. They look naff.
---------------
Spuds off road -Flatties on

Never been any good with any kind of pedal strap/clip thingy but have experimented with toe clips. Lack of co-ordination of leaves me attached to the bike when balance has failed me. Recently tried power grips but can never seem to get my feet in or out correctly when i need to :? Bodged a way of keeping the clips top side up by weighing down rear of pedal. OK'ish but still often snagged the clips on undergrowth which would snap them off :(

I've a mind to try an idea kicking around my mind of a sort of hook on the inside of the pedal i could get my big toe under to keep me slightly more attached to the pedal on rocky descents. Leaving the saddle and pedals and then failing to reconnect to the pedals when coming back down has resulted in a few high pitched moments :shock:

Velcro is another idea or magnets. What about electro magnets that quit when a Gyroscopic devise decides you've gone too far to recover from :LOL:

Back