Does anyone still use toeclips?

I don't tighten the things up, just have them tight enough so I can slide my foot in and out easily. So I may loose some power by not being connected to the pedal, but what I do have is better than nothing, it suits me and my type of riding.

So, as it is one of my future projects to try out spd type things, how are they with iffy knees ? Anterior cruciate ligament damage.

silverclaws":3oy4wf3b said:
I don't tighten the things up, just have them tight enough so I can slide my foot in and out easily. So I may loose some power by not being connected to the pedal, but what I do have is better than nothing, it suits me and my type of riding.

So, as it is one of my future projects to try out spd type things, how are they with iffy knees ? Anterior cruciate ligament damage.

That's how I use my toeclips - just stops my feet from sliding forward.

SPD's are great, have them on my road bike - doubt they'd be great with cruciate lig damage. You have to twist your foot sideways to unclip -I can feel my knee ligaments when I do it, particularly the one at the inside of the knee.

You can adjust them & I believe some will allow you to unclip without twisting, but all the ones I've used require a twist - Ouch

ive never used anything else, i love dangerous and old fashioned :D (would love a stright razor but i think they are illegal now!) the shoes for spds look so uncomfortable. i have thought about trying them but cant seem to find the right shoes for me.

I like both but must admit that I dont ride with toe clips any more,

1. they wear the crank arms :x
2. They mark my shoes
3. I like the clean look of clipless pedals

I was out for a ride 3 weeks ago and one of my mates had a tumble (not big) and was is serious pain........... middle of no where .......... ambulance....... 5hr operation and plaster cast. He broke tibia fibula and dislocated his ankle out for socket All due to SPDs :?

He was a big fan of the spds and was an every day rider but will not be able to ride with them ever again

At least the plates they fitted into his ankle are made of Ti :LOL:

Toe clips work really well if you don't have them done up too tight. I used them for years but have now converted to Flatties. It's simpler and they grip pretty well.

Anything becomes second nature when you have used them long enough.

With SPD's you learn to twist out, with toe clips you learn to withdraw (!) and with Flatties you learn to get your shin out of the way when they flick round :shock: ;)

At least with toe clips you don't have to wear SPD specific shoes and clip clop round the pub after your ride :)

I dont use them for two reasons
1. They're dangerous ,near impossible to get out of when done up and you have to stop suddenly.
2. They look naff.

what he said. (SPD accident above notwithstanding :shock: )

I'm SPD all the way, but loved toe clips BITD. Used to use those little plastic tabs that you can grab & tighten. Anyone remember them? Came in all sorts of dayglow colours to match your Mt. Christoph clips! Never had any issues with safety, but the speed of SPDs won me over.

Stick to your guns with using clips, there are no rules, just what you're most comfortable with, so if they work for you, they're right.

Latest posts

Back