Does anyone use a Rohloff 500/14 speed hub on their 26" commuter?

Spankyfart

Marin Fan
As above, I'm thinking of putting a Rohloff 500/14 speed hub my 26" commuter?
It has a chaindrive and other then that I have no idea how the work.

Does anyone use these, and if so what's your opinion.
Doesn't necessarily have to be used on a 26".

I mean many 26 and 700c touring bikes run it. I'd prefer to run it on a horizontal dropout frame as not to run a tensioner. I'd also want to run torque arms, especially on an older frame. But go for it. They're the most reliable IGH ever made.

I spoke to someone who had an Avaghon made with 26" wheels. He liked it a lot, but the gaps between the 14 gears are larger than those of a typical derailleur system. That and all the weight is in the back wheel, although overall weight is comparable with a derailleur system. And they can be noisy. Second hand knowledge, but there you go. Price has kept me from getting one so far, although I have seen several for sale on marktplaats.nl. I would like one for my commuter too.

If it's just a shabby low maintenance commuter you can get the nexus 3 speed hub on Wiggle at the moment for about £20.

I've built some wheels with rohloff hubs - they are remarkable bits of kit, but you certainly wouldn't want to drop one on your toes. I think the hub weighs about 1600g. It does place a lot of weight into the back wheel, so make sure you choose strong components and a decent wheelbuilder if you do go down the rohloff line.

as long as it is a leisurely commute you'll be fine.... not so good if you need to get there sharpish

It would be for an e-conversion which is already built.
Was in talks with someone who sells a full set but I think I changed his mind in actually doing what she said out to do and that finish the commuter she wanted to build.

I now have XTR M960 on FIR rims with a 9 speed XT 750 cassette which needs new sprockets.
They can't be found anywhere so I'm pondering the XT 770 which has reserve sprockets still.
My thinking was, instead of spending 60,- euros on a new cassette, maybe look at that Rohloff since it's both close by and imo cheap compared to new. And sell the old wheels.

Did see a video on a couple that traversed South America and they look like they can take a beating and are fairly service free.

Did see a video on a couple that traversed South America and they look like they can take a beating and are fairly service free.

Most definitely, as said, the most reliable offroad/touring IGH ever made. Overkill for just commuting IMHO but seeing as it is a good deal then I see no reason why not to. If ebike I would echo my previous reply even more so, please install torque arms.

Latest posts

Back