do you ride all your bikes?

I can see the point of garage queens but all mine will be ridden. But the stumpy will be kept for summer macretro meets and I have the GT for winter/hack/commuter duties. Not sure where the KHS is fitting in though :roll:

kaiser":2etif4pw said:
I can see the point of garage queens but all mine will be ridden.

Yea, I'm with you on that.

My Trek and RTS will only get ridden in dry conditions. Having said that, if it rained when I was out onone I wouldnt cry and run home to sulk, I mean I just wouldnt intentionally take them out in the cack!

I dont see the point in not riding a bike at all.......but I can understand not wanting to intentionally cack one up! :LOL:

I ride some of mine as I have no 'modern' now that I sold my Yeti. My 'dale , RC100 and Boulder will get gentle use around the park and will see trails in summer months, Saracen is going touring this summer so thats a yes too and the Hei Hei gets a good thrashing whatever the weather and has not seen soap in weeks. Fat and Schwinn are not finished yet but will both be users- I want to take the Schwinn to a trail centre to freak out the kids :LOL:

Si

Gazz, as you know I ride all my bikes as you seldom see me on the same one twice.

You also know I do not polish or restore them, I ride them and maintain them, sometimes they have some mud on them from a previous meet up to a month apart :D :D

The Garage Queen brigade are ensuring the museums of the future will have beautiful bikes for us to wax lyrical about to our grandkids.

We however get to cane the remaining bikes to within an inch of their life as the manufacturers intended :LOL:

There is room for both types of bikes and riders in this world, which is just fabulous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I try to ride all my bikes as regularly as possible. The 97 Zaskar has been ridden from the UK to Switzerland twice in the last two years and the 97 Bravado did the John O' Groats to Land's End and The C2C in 2004.
The 94 Marin Muirwoods is my regular hack bike although I'm getting it powdercoated soon and reassigned to long distance tourer.
But the 91 Karakoram is the one bike which only goes out in fair-weather, because these things get harder and harder to find parts for, plus there is history, and therefore a certain amount of respect, between me and that particular bike.
The main factor for me though is negotiating the loft ladder.
Sometimes my retro outings require a bit of time and planning before and afterwards. But that does make them all the more special than simply grabbing one of my modern bikes.

I can see why people have garage queens in a sense but once a bike is built there is only so much looking at I can stand before I have to take it out,I struggle with the whole winter bike/race bike road thing most of the time but if the garage queen bike is your thing fair enough.

I have always ridden my bikes very hard, and often used the broken component days as an excuse to upgrade. I do have a much deeper respect and mechanical sympathy now that the parts are becoming collector's items. If it's really bad weather then I switch the rims for more modern ceramic ones, but even those are rare.
I still ride the bikes like I hate them, but I have never ridden the Amp B3. It is a true garage queen, with polished parts-a-plenty and NOS Panaracer magics. I have oddly built another in a deliberately different guise in order to hammer it, and remember why I built the B3 in the first place.

I try to ride each bike in turn, though recently the pace has had the most use as it's already muddy and the rest are clean (seems a shame to get 'em all grubby ;) )

I have one that hasn't been ridden, and I'm in two minds as to whether it ever should be.

The only one I use regular is my modern courier commuter :oops:
But I do ride daily at least ;) :LOL:

My modern, well I'm rebuilding for city fun and trails, not used enough with my move, so strictly speaking; NO

Muddy Fox still waiting for a stem from vitorzip, and far too clean to take out before dry weather then we'll see.

Building the Raleigh (or other frame) for all year XC fun, planning to use lots, specially on retro do's

BMX, hmm no but looking forward to BMX track fun in summer

Others still in bits

Over all only one not in bits and ready is commuter. Doh! :oops: :LOL:

Back