Dablk’s 1991 GT Zaskar

Polishing these things is a pain but quite rewarding. I’ve started the hand polish on my ‘92, has quite a lot of stone rash on the underside which I can’t do much about with MAAS, but it’s certainly brightening up - actually highlighting the flaws if anything 🤦‍♂️

Front triangle before and after a first pass;
View attachment 743324

View attachment 743325

What have you used on it?

sod polishing, that way madness lies.

where did you send the forks to for media blasting (out of interest really)?

I'm half way through blasting a frame but it's defeating my equipment at this point and the wife is complaining about the sand (my box leaks).

Polishing these things is a pain but quite rewarding. I’ve started the hand polish on my ‘92, has quite a lot of stone rash on the underside which I can’t do much about with MAAS, but it’s certainly brightening up - actually highlighting the flaws if anything 🤦‍♂️

Front triangle before and after a first pass;
View attachment 743324

View attachment 743325

That can easily be made perfect. I’ve done far worse. Polish is simply the last stage though and shouldn’t be relied upon to make it shine as by the time the last stage of wet/dry is finished the frame will be gleaming and then the polish is just the finisher

What have you used on it?
Just some MAAS polishing paste to see what lies beneath, before I consider investing in something more aggressive. The frame does have a bar strike on the top tube, and plenty of chain slap, so I've got to weigh up what is worth spending on it for something that'll never be perfect, just rejuvenated.

Edit: @dablk apologies, I will start my own thread for mine!

Back