Customs/ Import charges from France to England

Does anyone know if there would be a customs charge to pay on a second hand, 20 year old bike frameset (private sale)?
Thanks
Wait till you find out how hard it is to ship your own bike to somewhere in the EU or back from the EU to the UK, without incurring custom charges.

Does anyone know if there would be a customs charge to pay on a second hand, 20 year old bike frameset

Yes there will. If the frame wasn't built in the EU then the import tariff is about 4%. If it is EU built then the tariff is 0%. You'd likely need proof of that.

Regardless, you will then need to pay vat and possibly a handling charge on top.

Import duty and vat are charged on the combined value of frame and shipping so it can't really add up

Parcel 2go have a good duty calculator with the option to pay import fees upfront so you can see exactly how much you'd be charged

Wait till you find out how hard it is to ship your own bike to somewhere in the EU or back from the EU to the UK, without incurring custom charges.
It's very easy if youve done your homework. I made sure i had the original sales invoice with me coming back from Italy last year, and within 2 seconds of casting his eye across it the HMRC man lost all interest.

Carlton Reid did the same last month, zero problems.

Going out it was clearly my means of transport, and attracted no more financial interest than a car would. A frame boxed up and tucked under my arm might be a different story though.

It's very easy if youve done your homework. I made sure i had the original sales invoice with me coming back from Italy last year, and within 2 seconds of casting his eye across it the HMRC man lost all interest.

Carlton Reid did the same last month, zero problems.

Going out it was clearly my means of transport, and attracted no more financial interest than a car would. A frame boxed up and tucked under my arm might be a different story though.

It's not as easy as not having to do anything and just have the thing shipped without any faffing. Imagine a world when that was thing! ;)

No, indeed, shipping one is a different proposition to riding one going in or out.

But que sera sera. Things are as they are, and much as I could moan it changes nothing other than my blood pressure, so i don't bother.

Got my blue passport last year, aren't I lucky! Looks more black than blue anyway.... I shipped a bike from Spain to the UK last year. Won't do it again. It was hard enough finding a courier service that would actually take it as a private parcel rather than business to business, and then the buyer got stung for import charges too.....

Back