Customs/ Import charges from France to England

nicktait1

Devout Dirtbag
Does anyone know if there would be a customs charge to pay on a second hand, 20 year old bike frameset (private sale)?
Thanks

It'll depend mostly on the value it's declared at by the person shipping it

Yea, get the person to do some mail fraud. The people doing the customs work don't know **** all, just get the sender to declare it as like 20 quid.

I take no responsibility if you get in trouble

The sender has really needs to protect themselves against loss though, as declaring something for a lesser value in order to avoid the buyer paying customs charges won't help them if they have to make a claim for a lost item.

Personally just expect there to be customs charge, and if there isn't that's a bonus.

The sender has really needs to protect themselves against loss though, as declaring something for a lesser value in order to avoid the buyer paying customs charges won't help them if they have to make a claim for a lost item.

Personally just expect there to be customs charge, and if there isn't that's a bonus.

Yes, very good point. As a buyer I usually ask the seller to declare low value for customs, on the understanding that I fully accept the risk is mine if there is loss or damage

Good point about insurance, but unfortunately it's often worth the risk anyways.. The prices can be absurd and even worse when you stack on top the handling fees from the postal service (don't know if you have that in the UK)

Good point about insurance, but unfortunately it's often worth the risk anyways.. The prices can be absurd and even worse when you stack on top the handling fees from the postal service (don't know if you have that in the UK)

Yeah we get their 'admin' fees on top

We have an import fee calculator that's pretty nifty here, don't you have something similar in them good ol' British Isles?

Back