The grim reaper came to visit me, Roberts content, be strong...

Adrian is a Legend... :cool:

Its always a sad day when such a loved frame shows its age, but it is beautiful, and worthy to go again, would love to hear its been saved.

Thanks for all the responses and appreciation.

I've spoken to Winston so far and will try Adrian too.

What I'm really thinking is, at 35 years old, aside from the cracked tube, there's bound corrosion inside, and as it happens a dent in the top tube that would be better gone. Basically a load of wear and tear that make me think that's it's either:

a - get the DT replaced/welded as is (initial response was to replace it) and retire it from proper off road use
b - get it stripped have fully refurbed and painted and return to full off road duties. I'd miss the patina but would appreciate the confidence in it.

I'm not convinced doing that seat-tube will be sufficient tbh.

If it was mine and made to measure (and I had the funds) it would be option b in a second.

I appreciate patina but I'd prefer a sorted bike.

How about comparing the cost of a repair including respray with having someone such as Winston build you a new replica of the frame with any updates you might want, swap the parts over and hang the original on your garage or shed wall to admire.
Yeah great thanks a lot, a good idea like that is exactly what I need...

If there were any changes to braze ons etc you wanted doing you could get those done at the same time as replacing the downtube and filling the dent on the top tube.

Think I'd vote for finding out how much a new version would cost. Maybe add discs and a seat tube that can take a dropper? Without getting in to a wheels size, suspension, other modern stuff debate, discs and droppers are the two major improvements to have come along over the years. Then hang the original on the wall or get a minor repair and retire it to road duties?

Back