Importing a bike from overseas.

My experience of this sort of thing before Brexit was importing some motorbike bodywork from the US in about 2006 which came on a pallet and the delivery people sent me an invoice for handling and payment of import duties which i had to pay before they would deliver. I was unaware that this was the case but after looking into it i realised it was something i should have been aware of. From memory it was about £120 on £550 worth of goods.

My experience of this sort of thing before Brexit was importing some motorbike bodywork from the US in about 2006 which came on a pallet and the delivery people sent me an invoice for handling and payment of import duties which i had to pay before they would deliver. I was unaware that this was the case but after looking into it i realised it was something i should have been aware of. From memory it was about £120 on £550 worth of goods.
One of the things making me think it's a scam is that I've had the bike weeks. I really can't see delivering the goods then hoping to get the duty etc reimbursed some weeks later is a great business model. As yours were, I'd have expected the goods to be held pending payment. We shall see! :)

Fedex make mistakes! but they won't let you have it until you cough up. You can chase a refund direct from Customs though...

It's not as bad as Ebay's global shipping programme though. I was trying to buy a plane from America for $150 .Ebay wanted $75 duty on top, when as the total was less than £135 nothing was due...

Fedex make mistakes! but they won't let you have it until you cough up. You can chase a refund direct from Customs though...

It's not as bad as Ebay's global shipping programme though. I was trying to buy a plane from America for $150 .Ebay wanted $75 duty on top, when as the total was less than £135 nothing was due...
Bargain plane that innit. Boeing doing that bad?

Back