Importing a bike from overseas.

Dickladd

Retro Newbie
Hi all, apologies if this is a common question but..
I recently bought a used Bianchi from a chap in Italy through Ebay. Good bike, nice guy, very reasonable postage. Today I've had an invoice from FedEx for £136.00 for 'import duty/VAT paid by FedEx, or clearance charges or both'.
This could be real and it's not unusual for me to have skipped some small print but something about it feels phoney. The bike was about £300 and the postage £60 odd. This would seem to be a high proportion of the bike's value.
Anyone had a similar experience or have knowledge of?
Any advice appreciated!

Is the 136 quid total including the 60 shipping?

Fees to be paid on a 300 quid bike should be about 60-70ish sure? And then you have to add the company's handling fee on top

No, I paid shipping to the seller as part of the purchase price so I'm baffled if this is genuine. I can't imagine a company like FedEx would be paying anything on behalf of the recipient and trusting they will get it back.
I'll find a phone number for FedEx when I get chance - they should be able to tell me.
Just something to be aware of.if anyone else is in a similar position.
Cheers

No, I paid shipping to the seller as part of the purchase price so I'm baffled if this is genuine. I can't imagine a company like FedEx would be paying anything on behalf of the recipient and trusting they will get it back.
I'll find a phone number for FedEx when I get chance - they should be able to tell me.
Just something to be aware of.if anyone else is in a similar position.
Cheers
I can't see how that purchase could end up with more than 70 quid import fees, sounds like a mistake. Call them and see.

Hope you'll get it sorted out

Thank you. I've attempted to speak to FedEx, which was fun. My call was important to them but I didn't get to speak to anyone.
I've emailed so let's see :)

Yes. £300 for the frame + £60 for the shipping = £360 total. VAT, duties and charges will be applied to the £360.

I'm not in the least surprised what FedEx charge. You should ask for a complete break down of the invoice amount; their clearance service charges, plus how much exactly was paid towards VAT and any duties. You can then compare the amounts to official UK gov website.

Yes. £300 for the frame + £60 for the shipping = £360 total. VAT, duties and charges will be applied to the £360.

I'm not in the least surprised what FedEx charge. You should ask for a complete break down of the invoice amount; their clearance service charges, plus how much exactly was paid towards VAT and any duties. You can then compare the amounts to official UK gov website.
You reckon it's like an absurdly large handling fee from FedEx themselves?

Back