Importing a bike from overseas.

All I know is that I've had 2 parcels go through with no customs fees to the UK recently and for that I'm very happy

For the UK it depends on the declared value - upti £34 and for a transaction between individuals it's duty free. Higher than that duty is paid, even if it's a gift.

Surely a second hand Bianchi would pass of as EU made?
Depends where the frame was built, what groupset it has and how the seller coded it. And whether they can provide proof of origin.

Withdrawal agreement has low ir no tariff for EU/UK built bikes but otherwise the standard rate for bikes is 14% .

Cotic for example can get away with lower duty for their UK built rocket & jeht bikes compared to their Taiwan built solarismax

You can go onto the gov website and find the correct tariff code which tells you what duty /vat is due. Plus any fees to the courier. It’s fairly simple really as long as you select the correct code. You pay both on the value of items and shipping. Just follow the calculator through.

Duty and VAT are different things. Duty varies.

Purchased Items below £135 don’t attract either. It’s gifts above £39 which do.

You can go onto the gov website and find the correct tariff code which tells you what duty /vat is due. Plus any fees to the courier. It’s fairly simple really as long as you select the correct code. You pay both on the value of items and shipping. Just follow the calculator through.

Duty and VAT are different things. Duty varies.

Purchased Items below £135 don’t attract either. It’s gifts above £39 which do.

That doesn't sound right.

You lot in the UK enjoying VAT free shopping from the EU anywhere? VAT rates typically vary with the product too.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound too outlandish to me ... As has already been calculated, the 360 plus tax plus import leaves a 55 handling fee. If it's a bike, then it's a large box, handling fees might increase depending on size? I know not everyone did, but the UK as a whole voted for Brexit so it's what you've got, unfortunately. I refuse to post anything into or out of the UK anymore because of all the charges and hassle.
Handling fee may be understandable if it were either paid as or along with carriage charges. Handling fee as a surprise/not previously agreed with the buyer would come close to extortion in my book.
I've contacted FedEx and they say the invoice may have come from TNT, who they are in the process of buying. However it's on a FedEx letterhead so who knows.
I intend to ignore it as I'm pretty sure it's a scam.

Back