Creating a workshop for bike builds

Re:

Don't discount the B + D Workmate, I use a board to which is bolted a vice at one end and a polisher / grinder at the other. The whole lot can be clamped onto the Workmate when needed and stored under the workbench when not in use whilst the Workmate is folded away and still available for boring non bike related jobs too.

For those not restricted by height limitations a home made mezanene is a great place to store bulky but light stuff such as empty boxes, bubble wrap and all those broken carbon frames. :LOL:

Re:

Ive been looking at bike racks. I have a wall mounted rack that takes 6 bikes. I could reuse that but I've never quite been happy at how easy it is to get bikes on and off (hanging by gravity via a wheel) and how close they all are (probably caused more scratches to bikes getting them in and out than use). Anyone got experience of walk mounts that are a little more flexible in the space between bikes department?

If I can get a wall of bikes down one side, I think the space saved will really help.

Re: Re:

ishaw":1xzhbr1q said:
Height restrictions are limited to whatever the current law makes you stay below, i think it is 1.8m. No room for a loft space, that would be great.

This is from some shed love group-
" If your shed is less than 2m from your property's boundary, the whole building should not be more than 2.5m high. To avoid planning permission, sheds should be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5m for flat roofs, 4m for dual pitched roofs or 3m in any other case."

So I take that as further than 2.5m from the boundary, the height can increase. Might find the 'other' would include the Dutch style roof.

Re:

Mine is a pent roof so assume around 2.5 ish in height. Maybe there could be some room for ceiling storage.

Once A Hero":1coj0ord said:
Organisation is going to be key by the sounds of it, given the multi-use nature of your new space.

How many complete bikes are you likely to have in there? Packing them in tightly with stems loosened and bars rotated 90 degrees, pedals removed will help.
I have 6 bikes side by side in a space of about 2.3m but they are fully built, ready to ride and individually accessible on their own rear wheel stands. I'd expect to reduce that space to about 1.5m if 'packed' more tightly and not individually accessible.

Only keep what you need day-to-day at low level, and a high level shelf is a good thing to have for hoarded stuff.

So I also use this method, I have a slightly smaller than double garage - I have 12 hung by front wheel, I bought moretz hooks from Halfords for about £3 each... blue things with 2 anchor bolts, they are spaced 15cm apart and also alternate up/down by about 10cms. They are as high to ceiling as possible, these are home to my rarely ridden garage queens, i've covered the tubes of the extra special ones in some second hand pipe lagging I got off my plumber mate. I then have 2x the 5 slot traditional metal floor racks below where you wedge the wheel into them and these are pushed up as close to the arse end of those that are hanging. I also alternate the floor ones facing forward/backward to maximize space.

Re:

My 'shed' is finished so now to fill it.

I will probably buy some wall mounted hangers for the bikes, mount some tubes to hang wheels and tyres from. Racking to create storage/shelf space.

There isn't a huge amount of space to create ceiling storage sadly, as despite the exterior height of 2.5, internally it doesn't leave a lot.

I'm undecided as to whether to build a fixed work space, or have something I can fold away/use outdoors when the weather is nice. If I went for the latter, any suggestions? I'm buying a foldable stand for a circular saw, wondering if I can bolt a top to it?

ishaw":9rkkdezj said:
My 'shed' is finished so now to fill it.

I will probably buy some wall mounted hangers for the bikes, mount some tubes to hang wheels and tyres from. Racking to create storage/shelf space.

There isn't a huge amount of space to create ceiling storage sadly, as despite the exterior height of 2.5, internally it doesn't leave a lot.

I'm undecided as to whether to build a fixed work space, or have something I can fold away/use outdoors when the weather is nice. If I went for the latter, any suggestions? I'm buying a foldable stand for a circular saw, wondering if I can bolt a top to it?

Don't own one but SGS are pretty good bang for buck, always wanted one of these and think they'd be useful but I don't have the room... also majority of tools I use are in 3 draws, 2 shallow/1 deep - I much prefer a draw to wall hanging as gets a little annoying pegging them back on each time, one flat draw open and right next to you is preferred for me.

Tool trolley below...

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/stcc500 ... orkstation

Re:

That is the kind of thing I'm after, but can't stretch to that kind of £. Are there cheaper alternatives. Always wondered why tool chests cost so much.

Back