Creating a workshop for bike builds

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm after advice, inspiration and practical tips on how to maximise storage and workspace to enable a collection of bikes to be stored, yet accessible for use, plus an area to allow working on them.

I'm currently about to lose my 6m x 3m garage. It is being replaced with a 5m x 3m shed. Previously I'd have the garage for bike stuff, tools etc as well as other storage for diy kit etc, and a small shed for garden stuff, but I'm now going to have to combine it all.

How have you solved space and storage challenges.

I have a blank canvas to work with but only one time to get it right.

Cheers

Sounds like a decent amount of space tbf. I have three bikes, two bike trailers, workshop and tools covering both bike & diy in an 8 ft x 6 ft shed. I tend to do any working on bikes outside of the shed, and pull out a bike if I need to do any shed based tinkering. It is tight thought. No special bike storage approach as I don't think it would help.

I do tend to get rid of stuff that's not been used for more than a year though.

Re:

I'm a bit of a hoarder, though this is making me think about that.

I'd like to have the bikes in there that aren't used as frequently hung up, and those that are, accessible but stored neatly to save them from accidental damage and to maximise space. Ideally I'd like a bench in there to do jobs like fork servicing and other things. I tend to have to work on bikes outside at present too, so little space currently hence the need to work out what innovative and space saving options there are, as bikes take up a lot of space, as do spare wheels, rims and boxes of other spares.

Racking/shelving/draw units?

One thing that does currently make working on bikes more painful is the tool box. All mu tools are mostly in a big tool box, finding the right tool when you need it is a pain. Looking for ideas on tool storage as well. Drawers? Not mad keen on having a board with an outline for each if I'm honest, but maybe that works for some commonly used ones over the workbench?

Speaking of workbenches, makes sense to me to have one with drawers under it for tools right?

Also thinking of having a wall mounted work stand that can fold away when not in use, though this might not be practical. I have a massive and heavy bontrager stand currently, a lighter and storable option might be better, as the tripod it becomes is pretty huge and I'm sure made from scaffold pole. Strong and robust, yes, but easy to store and space saving, no.

I have some of the cheap and cheerful shelving units for garages - tend to run to around £20 from the likes of B&Q. One with an old kitchen worktop acts as a workbench.

Tool storage has evolved organically. I just started putting screws/poundland hooks directly into the shed for commonly used tools. The advantage of a smaller shed is that most stuff is within reach. I do have separate boxes/toolchests for different jobs eg one for bike tools, one for general DIY, another for decorating, computer repairs etc.

Re:

I use a Park 9.2 workstand, the legs fold up for ease of storage and it's well made but light enough to move by yourself.

Re: Re:

ishaw":3mje1sci said:
I'm a bit of a hoarder, though this is making me think about that.

I'd like to have the bikes in there that aren't used as frequently hung up, and those that are, accessible but stored neatly to save them from accidental damage and to maximise space. Ideally I'd like a bench in there to do jobs like fork servicing and other things. I tend to have to work on bikes outside at present too, so little space currently hence the need to work out what innovative and space saving options there are, as bikes take up a lot of space, as do spare wheels, rims and boxes of other spares.

Racking/shelving/draw units?

One thing that does currently make working on bikes more painful is the tool box. All mu tools are mostly in a big tool box, finding the right tool when you need it is a pain. Looking for ideas on tool storage as well. Drawers? Not mad keen on having a board with an outline for each if I'm honest, but maybe that works for some commonly used ones over the workbench?

Speaking of workbenches, makes sense to me to have one with drawers under it for tools right?

Also thinking of having a wall mounted work stand that can fold away when not in use, though this might not be practical. I have a massive and heavy bontrager stand currently, a lighter and storable option might be better, as the tripod it becomes is pretty huge and I'm sure made from scaffold pole. Strong and robust, yes, but easy to store and space saving, no.

I learnt there was nothing worse than not being able to find what I need when I need it. Nothing will stop your enthusiasm quicker than having to spend time hunting for stuff before you can start on the tools. And I mean tools and spares.

When I finally had the chance to create a permanent space again, the format was simple, a workbench, with as many tools as I could have fitted to a work board above the workbench. Underneath the workbench, kitchen style cupboards, and/or sturdy plastic or wood boxes for spares, hooks for tyres, wheels cables, etc, a Vice, polisher etc all mounted to a work bench, in addition I found it useful to have roller tool chests for all the tools that get used but less frequently, helpful with lots of drawers and things for those little items too you dont want to loose during a frame refinish for example. I do like cable on a roll which is easy to store as well as a box of inner cables, just keeps things tidy. I did designate a space for hanging frames and wheels too which was a great help, everything cleaned and hung ready for when the time comes, and I finally made use of some old glass cabinets I have had and used on and off for about 20 years, I tidied them up and they went again, and now house all the better surplus components, im sure these glass and wood towers were bought at ikea and were about 30 quid, thay have worn very well.

none of it is big money, but getting organised was a god send.

Anything limiting you to height ?. Might only have 5mx3m or is that 5'x3' :shock: but if you did double or half again height, thats a fair volume then. Plus allows bikes to be hung well out the way and be easily 'unhooked'

Re:

My old garage was 9' x 15' . But had a shallow pitched roof. I put some 6x2 across the wall plates with chipboard flooring on and created an open loft ( about 9' x 6') accessible internally from both ends. Managed to store a lot of boxes up there.

Re:

Height restrictions are limited to whatever the current law makes you stay below, i think it is 1.8m. No room for a loft space, that would be great.

Re:

Organisation is going to be key by the sounds of it, given the multi-use nature of your new space.

How many complete bikes are you likely to have in there? Packing them in tightly with stems loosened and bars rotated 90 degrees, pedals removed will help.
I have 6 bikes side by side in a space of about 2.3m but they are fully built, ready to ride and individually accessible on their own rear wheel stands. I'd expect to reduce that space to about 1.5m if 'packed' more tightly and not individually accessible.

Only keep what you need day-to-day at low level, and a high level shelf is a good thing to have for hoarded stuff.

Back