Chater Lea Road/Path.

Head clip fork column was longer, and 31/32 at the top, with a 31/32 finer thread for the top lock nut. Also slotted for the clip tp hold the stem.
The crown may well be Chater.
The frame is clearly not BSA, they would have used their own world famous components.
Keith

Good link up there, Bugloss. The geometry on some of those old track bikes looks strange by modern(ish) standards- sub 70deg. seat tubes and such. What's the geometry/clearances/chainstay length like on your frame?

OTOH some of the track bikes in that link wouldn't look out of place in a 70s velodrome, except that their bits are built of wood and steel instead of aluminium.

I'm a sucker for these old-time stories about bike shop proprietors/cyclists, usually in the USA, bending their own handlebars, casting their own hubs, stuff like that.

Don't you wish your workshop was as picturesque as the one shown on this homepage? http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/ I bet it doesn't really look like that, but you never know...

The handlebars were usually bent by filling with silver sand, plugging the ends and warming up the bend.
If you want to see some of the best US 6 day bikes look up Lance Claudel.
In those days they were really 6 days with one member of the team on track at all times. They would reverse the bars and have a tray of breakfast.

Keith

They are beautiful machines and I think I'm going to try and attain that level of finish, luckily the components are minimal, no brakes or gears, but the historic track stuff is very expensive.

You're right there torqueless, they wouldn't look too out of place. I don't know what the angles of the Chater frame are but it is now paid for and I collect it on the 7 December, along with some other stuff.

I think initially I'm going to try and use some of the stuff I have to hand, Brooks, either BH of FB large flange hubs and I've got some Boa pedals. I'd like to sort out some Chater Lea cranks and chain wheel if I can get some at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the inspiration Keith I'm having a look at some Beech rims from Cerchio Ghisallo and I guess they would be 40/32 laced x4 at the rear and x3 at the front.

Back