Anyone vinyl wrapped a fork crown?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Asking as I've a nice set of forks but the paint on the crown has started to bubble. They are an rs sid.

I was going to sand and repaint but wondering if there's another option?

I agree with above. I've seen some real pro folks doing odd shaped smaller bits well. But in my limited experience researching it, as I was set on doing it some years ago to a bike, concluded quickly when I saw how some people struggled, even just doing a rigid road fork. Looking at that particular fork crown, it looks to have some indented cutouts, quite a contoured little thing, I imagine it'd be a pain to do. But if you do give it a go, please share pictures!

Not all vinyl is created equal. For the complex shapes you want cast vinyl and it isn't cheap. What you get most of the time is calandered vinyl, which is no where near as robust to shape change and will make life hell before failing quickly. Yes you could wrap a crown, I'd go top down and no wrap the underside.

Is it doable, yes. Is it worth it, no, clean it, polish it, ride it.

Not all vinyl is created equal. For the complex shapes you want cast vinyl and it isn't cheap. What you get most of the time is calandered vinyl, which is no where near as robust to shape change and will make life hell before failing quickly. Yes you could wrap a crown, I'd go top down and no wrap the underside.

Is it doable, yes. Is it worth it, no, clean it, polish it, ride it.
That makes sense, I did see people recommend some stuff that was dear as hell so must have been that sort of thing. I am glad I never invested in anything, out of the good wraps I've seen of bike stuff, I've seen hundreds of utter shite so that deterred me.

I did think it might be challenging, I was just thinking of alternatives to sanding and painting, which is probably what I'll do.

Back