Help identify triple triangle lugged frame?

Paint scheme...??? Screenshot_20240316-195518_Firefox.jpg
Obviously i assumed our paint may not be original. I'll look closer.
Repaint in original colours is always popular.
Overburys went strongly with the sloping toptube and elevated seatstays - but that was only possible with fillet brazing as the lugs weren't available in those angles. This frame has early o/s mtb lug friendly tube angles. 🤔

I can't help thinking that the frame is far nicer than the forks, so wondering if the fork was something from the shelf maybe an early Raleigh fork just used to fit, also the stem looks like a really cheap pressed metal affair.

It's very common for custom or hand-builders to use a mass-produced fork, but here we have a cheap pressed (but incredibly wide for the period)crown but very nicely brazed shimano dropouts.
It all looks a little experimental, but by a professional builder.

That fork crown reminds me of a meaty number on an early 'SBDU' (sorta) MTB I once had (broken frame) - the brown and champagne coloured thing - can't remember what model it was - but early-ish - so maybe the sort of crown that was readily available at the time?

The stem is more modern, like mid 90s cheapo catalogue number. I think it was probably stuck in there to hold it all together for the paint shop.
The crown I've seen before too, but cheapish late 80s. There's quite a lot of tyre space so perhaps that was the widest crown available?
Crown race seat has evenly spaced punch marks, but looks unused.
I've seen this done to fit a 27mm crown race onto a 26.4 seat, but I don't get why you'd do that and then not actually fit the race.🤯

Back