Chater Lea Road/Path.

Well, I've been looking at the Chater chain sets, their equipment seems to have a clean and timeless design and I like that a lot.

I've found some Conloy clincher rims, but I do like riding on tubs. I've already got some Fiamme tub rims with eyelets that are 32/40 but I think they are 60's, they would look nice with the FB hubs that I've got on the mystery bike and that would help to keep the cost down.

As I have a carpentry background the wooden rims really appeal, but I'm not sure about wet wether riding on wood.

I'm keen on the Constrictor handlebar stem on Ebay at the moment but the price is very steep.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251374479998? ... 1427.l2649

I'm also dreaming about the paint at the moment and I've got a black/chrome with banding paint scheme idea or I have always wanted a fully chrome bike which would also be in keeping with the period. So I'll get it chromed and see what it looks like.

Even though it is an early frame with vintage parts it could look really futuristic and be period correct at the same time.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I will chuck another possible builder into the mix here . Granby? As i understand it they also built a standard {none taper tube frame}
I have had a similar dilema with a frame also built with chater lea lugs. Id thanks to this forum as a possible frame built for F Evans .

I don't think I've got a cats chance in hell of identifying the maker,so I figure if I paint it no name and lurk around with the V-CC maybe eventually someone will come up with a maker.
I started with Macleans as the serial number W with 3 numbers fits in nicely with their pre war numbering.

I looked into Chroming my 70's Carlton Flyer track frame ( like we had hanging in our shop which the Boss ended up riding as we didn't sell it) ........ was £700 ish all in from the well known guys

Shaun

Derby Plating on Abbey st can also be highly recommended. They do plating on items from all over. As with anything its all about preparation.

Back