Chater Lea Road/Path.

Re: Ekla Fork Crown ?

Adam, It's a standard (rare) Chater lug set supplied as shaped, also the crown if original forks. I think these lugs went right through the 1930's, Chater rarely updated.
The head probably is 1/8 top and 5/32 bottom bearings. Chater also did bottom bracket bearings 5/16 inch. .
The seat cluster top eyes are more like a bit later (post war), the red frame is typical of 1930s. These are all solid and brazed to ears protruding from the seat lug casting.
Just my opinion.
Keith

Thanks Keith,

Looks like I've got some swatting to do. I hope the forks are original, the seller didn't indicate otherwise so I assume they are. He did say the Chater BB was oversize.
It's got a Macleans type serial on it (W783, or something like that) so I guess my first stop is the V-CC enthusiast who wrote the classic lightweights article.

If it was 30's it should have a clip headset, shouldn't it ?

I don't suppose anyone has got a Chater catalogue with these lugs in by any chance. I can't find any Chater lug sets on the internet at all.

Typical me to find the odd ball stuff :roll: I should have stuck to the 80's :facepalm:

I'm getting a bit thrilled nurse, send for the doctor !

The headset looks correct for the lug set, although most from the 30s were head clip. I suspect it was made post war, when frames were built from anything they could get, but this looks pure quality.
Keith

I finally managed to find some more information about Chater Lea lugs at Classic Lightweights (It's been staring me in the face all along :roll:, great website)

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... -comp.html

It pretty much covers all the lugs on the frame including the chain peg fig.21, but I have yet to uncover any information about the fork crown, although the front dropouts are included in the catalogue fig.19a.

The seller said the frame and forks are a matching pair which is a good thing, as I would hate to try and source a new pair of forks for it.

So you were spot on Keith, well done and thanks.

A few more photos…….

Got a nice rear end :D

But curiously it has a yellow nail in it ???

Any ideas about the nail would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at Chater and Harden components and I can see that this build may tax the old bank account faster than my wife's shoe habit :shock:.

I may have to sell some of the two wheeled treasure up in the loft :cry: or auction off the children and yellow dog. Hmmm that's a thought, It's a nice dog…….

Attachments

• $_58-4.JPG
    $_58-4.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 230
  • $_58-3.JPG
    $_58-3.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 230

Probably built with skill and no jigs. Joints were drilled and pinned to hold the position before brazing. Before TI takeover, Raleigh Nottingham frames (many millions) were drilled and pinned. Minor corrections to frame alignment due to joi nt cooling would be corrected by hand builders as they proceeded, Raleigh did minor corrections when the frame was complete.
Commonly pins were mild steel nails, but could be bought specially.
You will see some more inside the bottom bracket.
Keith

I found a 1931 Chater Lea catalogue and a Macleans featherweight catalogue from 1937. Macleans don't list a track or road/path bike though.

http://threespeedhub.com/catalog-category/1930-1939/

Thanks for the information on the nail. I guess they were an abundant supply of cheap machine made nails/pins that were easy to braze, so why pay for special pins.

Harden hubs weren't that good, but post war.
More difficult to find would be the Chater alloy large or small flange (post war).
BH airlite with chrome steel centres and alloy flanges were pre war till about 1960, and quite common.. And Powell, similar to Airlite, but with lubrication through the spindle, very rare.
All these were outclassed when we got FB (makers of Campagnolo solid centre hubs) about 1955.

Well that's good to know, I don't want any expensive mistakes. I've got some BH Airlights coming on the Holdsworth Cyclone deluxe and I've got a pair of FB large flange hubs too on the mystery bike.

It's looking like the Dawes/Holdsworth mystery bike is going to be very useful indeed.

So lets say Keith, that I was going for….say 1940-1950 as a build period, what would have been the most desirable parts to have on a frame like this for the discerning cyclist ?

Adam, Ideally the chainset should be Chater, either the fluted or round cranks, 3 pin.
Chater chainrings had milled teeth, most others were made from material that could be pressed. Chater pedals had stainless steel side plates , no teeth.
Williams did make one with cranks forged with the arms from a single piece, the 1200.
Rims, prewar maple with 4 laminations, 16 ounce and would stand any misuse, or Conloy which are unlikely to be useable now. Postwar either of the Fiamme, more likely to find usable. What do you think? Christmas wish list?
Keith

Back