Cantis or Vs?

RadioShed

Old School Hero
I've bought an old Orange frame. Its got the cable stop for a rear cantilever brake. Now should I fit cantis, even though I've always used Vs?

Re:

Yup if its got the cable stop, needs to be used.....or we shall send the toys round ......haha

Good pads and the correct setting up and they work well tbh, v brakes can be better but everytime you looked at the poor redundant hanger youd feel bad.

Honest

But it's your bike so do what's right for you

Cantis ;)

Re:

Do whatever you want, it's your bike and so you should build it how you want it.

Personally I'd go with v brakes, they look better, generally work better and would have been an upgrade back in the day.

Don't worry about the frame cable stop. Leave it as a reminder of how things used to be before progress, or even lip it off (I've done that a few times but would probably leave it these days).

Re:

Balls to cantis, chop the hanger off and run V's.

al. :)

bjellys":4l1fd55i said:
Why not go all the way Discs!

The only reason for doing that is to see how many people you could get with "Orange were way ahead of there time back in '96"

Re:

What's the plans for the rest of the bike?
If you're going to keep it fairly original or period correct then fit cantilever brakes.
If not, then fit V-brakes.
Don't forget you'll need canti or v-brake levers too, depending on which you fit.

Back