Shimming seatposts

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Not my favourite thing to do, but ive got an old frame with a unavailable seatpost size.

Any thoughts on metal vs plastic?

I will go for a 4" full length shim....im assuming as its a steel frame, the plastic reduces the risk of alluminium/ steel corrosion (although its not like i dont whip them out atleast one a year).....but does plastic give/ move more.?

Any experience?

Cheers

Never had a problem with either.

From memory USE shims are only plastic up to a certain size then metal.

I have a folder with a plastic shim that doesn't hold the smooth chrome seatpost well and it slips down.

I think that's more an issue with the seatpost though to be fair, if it was aluminium it wouldn't do it.

Cool. I was wondering how well they worked that was all. Its an old marin frame with a 30.3 post ( wtaf were they thinking 🤯).

Even if I do find a "strong" one, most were on the border of too short for me anyway.

I could aways rough up the post at the bottom with some 180g if its too slippery. Its not like anybody will ever want it sticking out more than me..😂

Plastic where possible as it negates corrosion. I've never had an issue with USE shims and have run their posts on pretty much everything I've ridden.

I literally walk round with a rag coated in acf50 in my hand most if the day! .....what is this car-ocean you speak of?

Back