Brake levers - V or Canti ??

Hmmm... Now I'm confused...
This is inside the Deore XT ones...

Can I make these work with Canit brakes?

What are those wedges??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 163
Nice zero flex levers there

The shims allow you to run both v or canti bit like the screw on the avids ,think you remove the bottom one
And use the middle one to hold the nipple I seem to remember you fit one from the other lever upside down to take up the play

I did not realise that about the XT levers, you learn something new every day!

Are you starting a brake lever museum by the way? ;-)
Nice little collection there.

The green levers are nice, had a set myself and are canti only from memory.

The red ones are zero flex (machine tech) had a set of these too (and canti brakes) and while they do have the pull adjuster dial are really canti only imho. They don't have any return spring in them so you need quite a lot of spring tension at the canti brake for them to return to their natural position. Nice and light though as a result but require a good brake set up.

mikee":vvhejo87 said:
Nice zero flex levers there

The shims allow you to run both v or canti bit like the screw on the avids ,think you remove the bottom one
And use the middle one to hold the nipple I seem to remember you fit one from the other lever upside down to take up the play
No, they are v-brake design through and through.
Both in are for beginners, middle is for if you like that feel, both out is the proper v brake setting.
The cable pulls quickly while there is no force on the pads, then when they hit the rim they switched to the inside setting and you get increased force and greater modulation control.
This setup is still used to this day on their v-brakes. At least till m770 anyway, not looked after that.
Practically the same way as 'servo-wave' works on the canti levers but without the forced channels. It all written down on the instructions.
I'm not saying if you fix it in the inner setting it wouldn't be good on canto as I don't know. But that is not the design.

Back