M600 servo wave levers used with canti's

geddy1972

Specialized Fan
afternoon everyone,

i have a set of M600 Servo Wave brake levers and i would like everybody's opinion on whether i can use them with cantilever brakes.

i know you can adjust the lever pull on them but have never been sure about how to properly adjust them and what difference it will make.

cheers.

these are the levers i have
1707925705210.png

I think these were designed for use with cantilevers originally if I remember. I have used them with v-brakes without a problem though.

I think these were designed for use with cantilevers originally if I remember. I have used them with v-brakes without a problem though.
I suppose might be able to use them with cantis using the L (low pull ratio) adjustment, and with linear pull brakes in H (high pull ratio) mode. Could also try different straddle cable lengths and see how it affects. Just try from slow speed first 🙂

Last edited:
No they are V-Brake levers.
The default setting L is for everyone.

H is for Pro's or anyone wanting decent V-Brake power

The middle is for people who are a little bit scared of using them properly in the H setting.

---
You could just read the instructions on si.shimano.com

On Canti's, give it a go the pull is wrong for them and not designed for them, but I don't like these brake levers anyway,

No they are V-Brake levers.
The default setting L is for everyone.

H is for Pro's or anyone wanting decent V-Brake power

The middle is for people who are a little bit scared of using them properly in the H setting.

---
You could just read the instructions on si.shimano.com

On Canti's, give it a go the pull is wrong for them and not designed for them, but I don't like these brake levers anyway,
Cheers for putting me right - I could have sworn I read somewhere they were for canti brakes.. never mind.
How come you don’t like them btw?

Don't like the feel of them on the old finger/hands, that's all.
Many people do like them.

People did use them on Canti's from what people say as they crossed over. (sort of dual setup, canti rear, v front).

But given we have choice, use that choice.
A decent DX/LX/XT servowave canti lever is much better at it.

Something more comfortable for sir(s)…
IMG_3487.jpeg
I’ve had these big old Lee Chi levers in my spares for yonks, good for canti’s too..
🤣

Those 600/601s are the best levers ive ever had. Had the same pair on every general duty bike ive had since i bought them new in the mid 90s! But I've got big hands, maybe that helps. Was running them with matching 'v's , but now on xt 780s.

They have lovely curved rounded blades and are far more confortable that many. I use them in L setting on both bikes that have them. In this mode the modulation is far (apparantly) better at the expense (apparently) of a bit of power....but I can still easily lock both wheels if you yank them....so I can't see the advantage of loosing the feel for any more guts. But then maybe the bigger hands helps there too.

But to be honest the diffence is frankly minimal and even jumping straight between l and h....unless your a ham fisted numpty, you are hardly likely to chuck yourself over the bars ....or not! 🤣

thanks for all the help everyone.

i had them on my handsome dog frame/bike with matching M600 V-brakes and wanted to use them again on an old 1995 specialized rockhopper im rebuilding.

i had seen someone on instagram using them with canti brakes and thought i would try them but wasnt sure.

also the spring has broken on the rear lever and wonder if i can get a replacement.

Back