Avid Speed Dial Brake Levers - V/Canti?

sam_white

Diamond Back Fan
Afternoon all. Is there a quick and easy way to tell if a set of Avid Speed Dial brake levers are designed for cantilever or V-Brake?

Must be possible from the model number? Lots of different versions out there.

I'm looking for a set of canti levers for a build, and Avids are a possibility. Going to be using XT 737 cantilevers.

For canti you have to twirl the adjuster with the cable barrel holder as close to the pivot as possible. IIRC that puts it about 30mm off the pivot.

Afternoon all. Is there a quick and easy way to tell if a set of Avid Speed Dial brake levers are designed for cantilever or V-Brake?

Must be possible from the model number? Lots of different versions out there.

I'm looking for a set of canti levers for a build, and Avids are a possibility. Going to be using XT 737 cantilevers.
I would go w/ shimano slr levers. M 733 or m735

Hi, to my knowledge, only the "Ultimate" lever came designed for Cantilever brakes. That was roughly in 1995.
There was a later version for V-Brakes. They do have different so-called chips. Those are replaceable but hard to get (info and pictures to differentiate somewhere here in the forum).

Ordinary Speed Dial lever have been since ever designed for V-Brakes.

However as said from Hamster above already, in general due to the adjustable cable pull, most user are fine, so am I, when combining V-Brakes Speed Dial lever also with canti brakes but having the speed dial adjusted to reduce cable pull.

Edit: adding pictures
Avid Ultimate presentation on a show End of 1994
Avid Ultimate Bericht aus Bike 1994.jpg
1998 borchures showing Ultimate with both variants (chips) and SD 1.0 and 2.0
Avid Brake Levers 1998.JPG

Link to a picture of the V-Chip vs L(Cantilever)-Chip

2005 brochures
Avid Speed Dial Lever 2005.jpg

Last edited:
Seconding what people have said above, I've used speed dials with disc, v, canti and side pull brakes by using the dial to adjust cable pull. Picked up another set recently from wiggle specifically because they're useable on everything.

Back