V brake vs Cantilever vs U brake? 90s GT

There are some period correct black XT cantilevers for sale at the moment:

These would have come on the Team Avalanche (front only mind!). They might be a bit pricey for you though if you don't care about period correctness.

One more question on this - do I need different brake levers for V brake and U brake? Or can I use V brake levers for both sets?

Throwing this out there as I've read not done this, but you can apparently run magura brakes on u brake bosses by turning the mounts upside down on the rear.

One more question on this - do I need different brake levers for V brake and U brake? Or can I use V brake levers for both sets?
Will you be using a v-brake on the front? Or do you mean cantilever brake??
Cantilever brake levers work for both U-brake + cantilever brake.
V-brake levers are slightly different as the cable pull ratio is different, they're best left for V-brakes, they don't tend to work so well with cantilever or u-brakes.

V- brakes and U-brakes/Cantilever brakes are supposed to have different levers, something to do with the amount of cable they pull. I've only ever used the matching levers, but I've seen others interchange them. I understand some of the later Shimano levers were adjustable to be used on either, but I've not personally done this... Hopefully some-one who has will jump in :)

Ok, so it sounds like best idea would be to get cantilever front brake (with a dia compe U-brake on the rear) then they can both use the same types.

I was looking at these, but they only work for the V brake type right? https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-levers/shimano-deore-blm511-v-brake-levers-pair-black/ or these https://www.wiggle.com/p/shimano-alivio-t4000-brake-lever-set

Is there anything I need to type in when searching for them? Most searches for "cantilever brake lever" seem to just pull up standard ones.

Try the For Sale forum on here, or put up a Wanted ad.
You could also look on eBay.
Cantilever brake levers aren't mass produced these days, so probably your best bet is to find some good condition used or new old stock ones.

Latest posts

Back