Bottle cages for Colnago

Sir Neil d'Menture

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK, so I'm full of the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.
Just bought a 1990/91 Colnago Master. Need some bottle cages to match. There are so many out there that may or may not be "correct" and may or may not be of decent quality.
Any suggestions?

Elite Ciussi in silver alloy with the round 'buttons'. No other style comes close. Unfortunately the modern version has awful red 'ELITE' branding on one of the arms but plain NOS are available and some knock-offs that look near identical. There's also an 'INOX' model but it's made from tubular stainless steel and in my eyes doesn't look right.

You’ve got these: not period but very nice.

Otherwise elite ciussi would be my go to for period.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You’ve got these: not period but very nice.

Otherwise elite ciussi would be my go to for period.
Thanks. I've seen those. There is a big thread on here about them that somehow was talking about chilli peppers! Very entertaining - I think.
Yes they look nice but I'm leaning towards the Ciussi.
I've got Colnago OCD, Elite is just "right" as is Campag.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There you go.
sam_0004-jpg.610430

though it's now shod with Campag Omega rims

I agree with previous recommendations. I tend to use the Campy "Biodinamica" (although prices are getting a bit steep; even for just a bottle cage) style bottles for the late 80s-90s for looks and performance (aerodynamic and aesthetically pleasing).

I agree with previous recommendations. I tend to use the Campy "Biodinamica" (although prices are getting a bit steep; even for just a bottle cage) style bottles for the late 80s-90s for looks and performance (aerodynamic and aesthetically pleasing).
Indeed. I looked at those and saw them at £150. I need two and there is no way they will get past SWMBO.

@Sir Neil d'Menture

A classic Colnago, one of my favourite makers from that late 80s - mid 90s period with the mix of classic steel frames and just enough new tech to make riding a bit more comfortable e.g. brifters, decent brakes etc.

I've just had a look amongst my pile of parts and have found an Elite Ciussi, alloy with yellow buttons that I probably bought in the very early 90s. IIRC it doesn't quite grip the bottle as tightly as it did when new, I'm not sure if it could be gently squished to give more grip.I won't use it again so you are welcome to have it; pm me with your details if you want it.

Kevin

Back