Another DIY rear derailleur cage.

May work ..... it will solve the max sprocket size problem but potentially would not solve taking up enough chain slack with a short cage and double up front.

I can confirm that if you have a chain which is X number of links long, and use small-small as your gauge, then adding the shortest available extender does make the ability of the cage, to take up the slack, worse. If you are already max'd out with the mech, in small-small, you have to take links out..

I’m afraid I have to abandon this path….. I got a 4mm aluminium plate and started to cut it but just realized don’t have the proper tools nor skills so can’t continue this way.
Final try would be to draw and print a 3D model and then cast it. I have the contacts for 3D printing and casting but no clue about 3D design. Can anyone recommend a free & easy software or give any hint?

I’m afraid I have to abandon this path….. I got a 4mm aluminium plate and started to cut it but just realized don’t have the proper tools nor skills so can’t continue this way.
Final try would be to draw and print a 3D model and then cast it. I have the contacts for 3D printing and casting but no clue about 3D design. Can anyone recommend a free & easy software or give any hint?
The old way to do this would be to scribe it out with dividers, drill holes, stick it in a vise and use an abrafile or coping saw to roughly cut the shapes. Then use needle files to finish off the shapes. This would be my way of doing it. Get the right tools and just take your time doing it. A pair of old Moore and Wright dividers off eBay, an abrafile and a set of Swiss files won’t cost much.

Modern way would be to CAD the shape and have it water cut, or CNC the whole thing which would do your fillets etc at the same time. But this way is a bit spectacularly YouTube influencer with big budget / show-off / golf club and more importantly BORING.

Could try contacting CeramicSpeed, they may be able to knock out special one off build... may cost a wee bit extra ffs 🥴

Screenshot_20231210-101027.png

• Wow
Reactions: Woz
Back