Another DIY rear derailleur cage.

jordic1968

Retro Guru
Hi there
I was determined to fit a 5 speed 14-34 freewheel (that I nicely got from a member of this forum) on my Colnago Super with a gen1 Super Record RD. I'm aware there is the Rally RD for that purpose, and also some other diy builds from the 70's and later, incl. a nicely build rd cage from the same purpose available on ebay already but just wanted to experiment myself - with limited resources ;(

Let me share here some pics to illustrate how I made it. This is just a prototype for testing purposes, several holes allow different positions for the pulleys, also not fully tested as still need to get the stem and brakes fitted to ride it, but guys let me know how it looks to you. Any advice about positioning, sizing,... is really welcomed.

IMG_0081.jpg IMG_0105.jpg IMG_0114.jpg IMG_0175.jpg IMG_0176.jpg

Hi there
I was determined to fit a 5 speed 14-34 freewheel (that I nicely got from a member of this forum) on my Colnago Super with a gen1 Super Record RD. I'm aware there is the Rally RD for that purpose, and also some other diy builds from the 70's and later, incl. a nicely build rd cage from the same purpose available on ebay already but just wanted to experiment myself - with limited resources ;(

Let me share here some pics to illustrate how I made it. This is just a prototype for testing purposes, several holes allow different positions for the pulleys, also not fully tested as still need to get the stem and brakes fitted to ride it, but guys let me know how it looks to you. Any advice about positioning, sizing,... is really welcomed.

View attachment 795637View attachment 795638View attachment 795639View attachment 795640View attachment 795641

That's really quite ingenious as a means for determining a workable design. Me like. Are you an engineer by profession?

Back