Headset woes.

Sir Neil d'Menture

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've bought a bike. Italian make.
Forks need to be attended to so they need removing.
Unfortunately they are stuck solid.
A week of plus gas has made no difference.
I'm seriously thinking that I may have to cut the headset to free the forks.
Headset is Campag Record - ouch!
I can find new 1" Record headsets but they make reference to "English".
I didn't think there was any difference in headsets - is there?
What likely problems are there?
Steerer tube isn't L/H thread by any chance is it? That would explain why it won't unscrew, but I'm getting wary of using spanners again as I'm beginning to round off the flats.

Any help, please?

Evapo rust should free it .I am not sure on thread issue . Try going the other way . Sounds like you can't make it any worse.

English and Italian headset threads are 99% identical, it's just the angle of the thread cut that's different and it's not enough to make any difference.

Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but just to check. There isn't a spacer in there? The one with the single tooth to catch the groove, that has started to foul the threads

From the top, does it have
Hexagonal threaded locknut
Spacer
Threaded ball race with a hex for the headset spanner.

Or post a pic

Pic here
20231020_145030.jpg
Hex nut on top. Then a thin spacer. Then another hex nut.
I'm putting spanners on the two hex nuts and as you can see I'm beginning to damage them. Should need that much force so something is stopping movement.
Obvious thought is rusty stuff but Plugas for a week hasn't had any effect.

I suspect that the spacer isn't thick enough so the top nut has been screwed down tight against the top of the steerer. I'd take the stem out and have a look. Have you just been attempting to undo the top nut or have you tried tightening the top race a fraction to release pressure on the top nut? - I know it's not good practice as you can damage the races but it might help.

If I look inside there is a small gap between the top of the steerer tube and the underside of the top nut. I've been using that gap as an entry point for Plusgas.
Originally it was full of rust coloured gunge but that has now disappeared - presumably washed away. Don't think the nut is touching the steerer tube at all.
Haven't tried tightening the top race but it might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back