Bit of fun - How long as a percentage of your life have you owned your bike?

My longest owned is around 47% (Dean Amp) and I have had (and have) a lot of bikes - I like antiques as well - especially from around 1900, 20 lbs bikes with big chainrings

So as a percentage of your life. How long have you owned a particular bike ?

I bought my Spooky in 99 when I was 15 , I’m now 38 so that’s 60.5% by my calculations.
I bought my Holdsworth Professional frameset around 1980/81, aged about 15 and had it built up in a small local bike shop (using as much Campag Record as I could afford ... ie, not much!)

As I'm now rapidly approaching 58 (..gulp!) I have had her for about 74% of my life.

She will soon be stripped for a repaint (in Holdsworth Campag Team colours), something I've been intending for years. I'm collecting Campag Super Record/ Record bits to complete her. I am in a better position to afford these now (though Mrs G. would disagree if she saw what this stuff costs ....).

The longest I’ve owned one bike is my 89 Kona Cindercone which I got in about 97 out of a skip and is still in the attic awaiting a restoration!
(58% of my life according to my abysmal maths 25 years owned and 43 years old…)
Oddly, I’ve never seemed to hang on the bike’s that have meant the most to me, but there’s a couple that I’ve always regretted getting rid of!
My very first “ATB” (!) was a Raleigh Lizard, It was probably 88 or 89 and my Dad bought me and my brother matching ones for Christmas and I’ve never been more shocked at a present since!
Very few friends my age (10/11) had one of these new mountain bike thingy’s, and although we never went without, we would have almost certainly been classed as poor.
That bike started my lifelong obsession with offroad bikes, and when I find one close enough to me on eBay I’ll add it to the collection!

1994 Saracen Kili (bought new): 52%
1995 Kona Humu (ex-display; bought 1997?): 46%

The longest ownership of one bike is 4 years or so, My GT iDrive 4.0 (blue and white) used for commuting, mostly, all other bikes I have had, then my Merlin (Columbus Zona frame with Ritchey dropouts), bought on eBay for £55 which was built up with all parts from my GT iDrive, minus seatpost as that didn't fit.

My trek bruiser I bought second hand and did up been stolen twice and recovered
must have had it for just over 50% of my life maybe 53.6 somewhere round there

Attachments

• 3D89BD85-1BCB-4278-A852-59D99BFED620.jpeg
    3D89BD85-1BCB-4278-A852-59D99BFED620.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 2
I've owned/ridden bikes for 83% of life, owned ridden my Carlton Corsair for 66% of my lifespan. I recently bought a Garmin Edge and it's encouraged me back to riding nearly every day.

I feel like a fraud on here, now.

I had the most amazing retro collection - Bontrager RaceOR (early Cannery Frame), AMP B3 which I got direct from Laguna Beach, early Oranges (many), Proflex 885, Sunn etc.

A L L G O N E

I had them for 35 years (53%), loved them, rode them, bent some of them, polished all of them.
I even had some new white PORCS which were thrown out prior to the BIG PRICE CONSPIRACY
I sold a lot of the bikes in the last three years to people who would ride them rather than having them in the workshop as I had them.

Now…..

A ‘95 nickel P7. Which my partner uses.

Then VERY MODERN Stantons, Transitions, Ragleys, Cotics, Canyons.
which are….

F U N

Last edited:
Back