Bit of fun - How long as a percentage of your life have you owned your bike?

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So as a percentage of your life. How long have you owned a particular bike ?

I bought my Spooky in 99 when I was 15 , I’m now 38 so that’s 60.5% by my calculations.

I have a frame that I remember being a British Eagle mtb from when I was 12. It has a 1 1/8th headset and canti mounts. I'm now 42. 72% of my life. Of those 40% has been as a frame. 20% its been a single speed. The rest it was a mess of parts from various places. It hasn't had its logos since I was 19. Lol

I have a GT Tequesta that I got for my 11th Birthday, the forks got bent and are long gone, the frame is pretty tired and waiting to be rebuilt from the spares bin (I know I’ll never get time for that!) I have the colour matched stem too. I’m 42 now, so I’ve owned it for 73.8% of my life!

The longest I've owned a bike was between 1999 and 2020 - an Orange Clockwork 10th Anniversary that I won in a competition, and was too big for me. For 18 of those years it was the only bike I owned.

I had it for 43.75% of my life.

The bike I've owned the longest which I currently still own is my 98 Stumpjumper.

I've owned that for 9.8% of my life

Last edited:
my 1986 cannondale. the only new bike I've ever purchased. Keep wanting to sell it but its actually got a pretty nice ride. My tastes haven't changed much since I was young.

I actually ordered the lowly SR500 but they were out of that frame so upgraded me to the SR1000 for free. I've slowly accumulated the 7400 parts over the last... 35 years! I've held onto it for a lot more than half my life.
D800_2019-04-27 17.00.08.jpg

I guess I enjoy building, riding, and selling bikes too much. I typically don't hang onto them very long. My "keeper" bikes I will never get rid of but the rest? I might hang onto them for a few months to a few years. Then it's out with old and in with,... another old.

my 1986 cannondale. the only new bike I've ever purchased. Keep wanting to sell it but its actually got a pretty nice ride. My tastes haven't changed much since I was young.

I actually ordered the lowly SR500 but they were out of that frame so upgraded me to the SR1000 for free. I've slowly accumulated the 7400 parts over the last... 35 years! I've held onto it for a lot more than half my life.
View attachment 673805

As a percentage?

Latest posts

Back