Biking and bulls

Re:

And never underestimate the speed that one of those things can get up to. I've seen a Charolais at full tilt and they're bloody quick!

LOL I remember my uncle being chased by a pedigree Fresian - i guess 1.5 tons and the Fresian won!

Richard

Re: Re:

Barneyballbags":3ji795ay said:
It's my understanding that they're more than entitled to have a bull in the field (aggressive or not), and most farmers whose land I've ridden over put a sign up to warn walkers and riders anyway.

Also, and as has been mentioned about, it's not the bulls you need to watch out for in most cases - it's cows with calves. Don't EVER get between one and the other unless you fancy seeing what it's like to have a half ton battering ram come down on top of you :shock:

Its an offence to have a bull on its own without cows in the field.

It is also an offence to have old bulls (10months+ iirc) of a common dairy breeds, that includes the black and whites, in a field at all no matter what.

These are fields with Right of Way in them.

Also if any bull threatens(endangers) you, report it to the police and I think the ramblers group. The farmer has a duty to make sure the Right of Way is safe for whoever has a right to use it, but that is not just with regard to bulls.

That's what I remember when having a read up on it.
The web will probably tell you detasilks and breeds and correct my vagueness.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":31apy7gd said:
Barneyballbags":31apy7gd said:
It's my understanding that they're more than entitled to have a bull in the field (aggressive or not), and most farmers whose land I've ridden over put a sign up to warn walkers and riders anyway.

Also, and as has been mentioned about, it's not the bulls you need to watch out for in most cases - it's cows with calves. Don't EVER get between one and the other unless you fancy seeing what it's like to have a half ton battering ram come down on top of you :shock:

Its an offence to have a bull on its own without cows in the field.

It is also an offence to have old bulls (10months+ iirc) of a common dairy breeds, that includes the black and whites, in a field at all no matter what.

These are fields with Right of Way in them.

Also if any bull threatens(endangers) you, report it to the police and I think the ramblers group. The farmer has a duty to make sure the Right of Way is safe for whoever has a right to use it, but that is not just with regard to bulls.

That's what I remember when having a read up on it.
The web will probably tell you detasilks and breeds and correct my vagueness.

Yes I'm sure that's right. Otherwise it makes a mockery of a right of way. Bulls are quite rare and farmers generally have other fields.

In fact:
https://www.gov.uk/public-rights-of-way ... sibilities

I presume that the offence only relates to fields with 'right of way'?

Bulls are rarer than cows but there is still a requirement for farmers to have them for obvious reasons.

I would still suggest avoiding them or leave yourself a quick exit.

Richard

Re:

Gentle beasts , especially on the hottest day of last year.
still wouldn't trust 'em though ...

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 540
Re:

Generally I'm not particularly scared of cows (my first pocket money job was to fetch a small herd of about 30 dairy cattle in for milking, aah), although I have always had a very healthy respect for cow/calf combos and bulls. Around here, a lot of the bridleways cross cattle fields so we wouldn't get far if we were too concerned.

I think I might see if there's some sort of Rights of Way officer at the local council and get their advice on this particular bridle way - in the herd we saw, most of the cows had calves and the bull was a big old boy and, like I said, he was a bit frisky. I'm also not sure whether the land owner isn't trying to keep people off his land. We have tried two other bridleways on land adjacent to this farm: one has had it's signs removed and the other has been ploughed clean across at one end and crops planted right up to the edge- the other end of it has got rubbish spread across it with a fair bit of glass in it. All the paths are current and are shown on the latest ( 2014) OS map.

Back