Biking and bulls

Re:

Where possible, look ahead and anticipate the distance between man and beast. Let your instinct do the rest.
In my experience crossing fields with bulls in, they are generally among the cows and chewing grass (other things on their mind). just ride casually and keep chatting/banter to a limit, they are used to human interaction but, keep your wits about you.
If a charge occurs, get pedalling and seek refuge other side of nearest gate/fence or climb tree, it won't stop to confirm if you are a rival bull or not :)
But really it's rare a bull will get all crazy with you unless you are too close or hanging around too long pointing at it. As said above, they are curious too.
Highland cattle are really docile. The same as above applies in 'season' but most of them will move away if you mimic a farmer. Arms in the air and raise your voice, they usually move.

Re:

Do we definitely mean bulls here, or are we talking about bullocks as well? Bulls can certainly be dangerous, and so can cows to a lesser extent when with their calfs.
I've never experienced any real aggression from bullocks, they don't have the motive - but like cows they're very inquisitive and will approach, sometimes stampede-like. If this happens don't panic, try and stand your ground and they'll most likely stop some distance away. Wave your arms around and shout authoritively, if necessary.
I'd always be a bit cautious of sitting/lying down amongst cattle, and I ensure there aren't any where I bivvy. They're attracted to the curiosity, and always find me. There's a very high risk of being trampled, and cattle seem much more confident with you in such a vulnerable position.
When cows are with calf, give them as much space as you can. I tend to keep to the fields periphery when walking and riding if possible - most farmers would prefer this to having their stock disturbed.
Bulls are slightly more serious as their aggression is unpredictable. A ringed bull has 'learnt' to remain fairly passive, and will normally not be a problem, but always afford them respect. Keep as far away as you can and pass inconspicuously. If you don't provoke them by loitering around, acting erratically or staring at them, they're generally fine.
On the other hand I completely avoid un-ringed bulls. You still see these sometimes, and I've no idea how they're controlled. The farmer next door was nearly killed two years ago by an Italian bull which had been off the lead/staff for just a few minutes - it sensed it's freedom, felt it's feet, and had he not been able to squeeze under the gate in time, would have undoubtedly killed him.

Re:

Here is an example of a grumpy beast. I passed this today, thankfully on the other side of a stone wall, and it was just chewing grass and plodding about. The ladies it was entertaining were just out of shot and sat down. The bulls like to keep watch. These tan coloured ones weigh in very heavy and take no crap. :)

It wouldn't kill on sight or probably not arsed to charge even, but best avoided if you see it first! ;)

Dairy bulls tend to be more aggressive/highly strung - basically the black and white ones.

you normally don't have to worry at all unless you're walking a dog. If you have to cross a field with a dog, keep it on the lead (farmers don't like dogs off leads - understandably), but get ready to drop the lead and run - the cows will be going for the dog, not you. As said, risk is highest with cows in calf or herds of young bullocks.

Re:

If the cattle (regardless of gender) won't get out the way (or charge you) just pull a wheelie. They will be so in awe of your bike handling skills and intimidated by your stx chaining s they will just move out the way for you.

Simples :D

Oh no, hang on that was the technique for dealing with arthritic and slow moving small dogs you come upon suddenly when riding too fast along a shared path.

Re:

We aren't usually too concerned about cattle but, last weekend, we were on a bridle way (which we have used before) that is part of the Viking Way. We came to the gate (where there is now a sign saying beware of the bull) and realised that said bull and a dozen cows, all with calves, were standing on the track. Mr Bull was looking, er , friskyand clearly was wanting to entertain the ladeez.
With this particular field it's not really possible to go off the track and round the cattle because of two large muddy pools.
After discussion, we decided that cowardice was going to win out and we turned back the way we had come.
This was easy for us, we were on bikes and tooled up with OS maps - not so easy if you were hiking and needed to find another route potentially putting a fair bit of distance on your route.
So, my question is, are there any rules/guidelines/whatever that farmers have to follow when it comes to putting potentially aggressive animals in fields that are crossed by bridleways/footpaths.
Don't get me wrong, I know it's their land and they should be able to use it and I should think some must get sick & tired of people trampling across their fields.

Re:

It's my understanding that they're more than entitled to have a bull in the field (aggressive or not), and most farmers whose land I've ridden over put a sign up to warn walkers and riders anyway.

Also, and as has been mentioned about, it's not the bulls you need to watch out for in most cases - it's cows with calves. Don't EVER get between one and the other unless you fancy seeing what it's like to have a half ton battering ram come down on top of you :shock:

Re: Re:

Barneyballbags":33nff7dn said:
It's my understanding that they're more than entitled to have a bull in the field (aggressive or not), and most farmers whose land I've ridden over put a sign up to warn walkers and riders anyway.

Also, and as has been mentioned about, it's not the bulls you need to watch out for in most cases - it's cows with calves. Don't EVER get between one and the other unless you fancy seeing what it's like to have a half ton battering ram come down on top of you :shock:

Yep, been there twice entirely accidently! The first time was above Sullington near my parents house and I had to run straight down the escarpment. If you've seen the cheese rolling in Gloucestershire, you have a vague idea of how steep that is. The second time was when I was in the TA and was charged from a few metres away. Strangely my first reaction was to raise my rifle at the beast as it charged at me, which miraculously worked and it stopped dead in it's tracks staring at me!

Both times were really bloody scary though!

Re: Re:

rosstheboss":2pkdyvgz said:
Barneyballbags":2pkdyvgz said:

Yep, been there twice entirely accidently! The first time was above Sullington near my parents house and I had to run straight down the escarpment. If you've seen the cheese rolling in Gloucestershire, you have a vague idea of how steep that is. The second time was when I was in the TA and was charged from a few metres away. Strangely my first reaction was to raise my rifle at the beast as it charged at me, which miraculously worked and it stopped dead in it's tracks staring at me!

Both times were really bloody scary though!

Lucky the cow didn't realise you had an SLR , couldn't fire straight if the target was at point blank :facepalm: shyte things that we got back then eh !
Mike

My 2p

Avoid bulls at all costs - ringed or unringed. As mentioned above, the black and white bulls can be uber agressive if they are pedigree - and they will be ringed, so the ring does not give any indication of gentle tendancies. I have a bit of experience with livestock having working on a dairy farm for a number of years. Cows with calves can be dangerous if you try to split them up. Heifers can be dangerous as they are fit and full of beans and their ability to trample you or knock you down as they play cannot be underestimated.

My uncle was gored by a bull and his dog saved him, without the dog he would be dead, as it distracted the bull - the bull was a 'docile' Hereford (or so he thought) but he put himself in a position where he had no exit from a 10 acre field and the bull caught him. Stupidity on my uncle's part as he failed to follow the advice he gave me. You can NEVER trust a bull - ever.

When putting the cows out to pasture with a bull, when the bull stops, I stop and look for a hedge to jump. When the bull moves, i move - always watching for a safe exit from the road. The bull follows the cows but he is the boss and that is not a sunject for debate.

Really, to be safe, give them all a wide birth and NEVER enter a place where you have no exit - and exit means you get there first.

Richard

Back