Tyres and and things that go hiss.

I have a normal route that I did for many years, about 50 miles and visiting 32 churches. I would agree Churches were a key focal point for the local community which saw them embody the community's history. The memorials, art, architecture and decoration all reflect that history and even current thinking.

Of course some have pieces of art that are strangely in keeping but out of place either by being grander than expected or by being less than expected but clearly highly thought of. All Saints Rettendon has this amazing marble memorial to Edmund Humphrey which was a vanity project. It is an amazing bit of sculpture in marble. It is rather unexpected in a parish church but it is also rather spectacular.

Attachments

• Humphrey Memorial All Saints Rettendon.jpg
    Humphrey Memorial All Saints Rettendon.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2
Back to the original thread, I think you've been incredibly unlucky - my Marathon Greenguards (26"x 1.5) have been very resistant to cuts. I live in a horribly flinty area and typically a light racing tyre like the lovely GP4000/GP5000 lasts around 1000 miles before being terminally damaged.
Michelin Pro4 Endurance are lighter and faster than the Schwalbes but also seem to last very well for me.

Agreed everyone would say the marathons would have more protection than the delta cruisers which I had on for 7 or actually it might have been 9 years with 0 punctures riding about a 1000 miles a year. The marathon was just plain unlucky and met the flintvwith its name on it. The bike originally had 26x1 1/4 597 rims. Now it has 590 650a rims. There are no fast modern road tyres in that size. I would love some GP5000 on there. I did try a 622x28 on it but there was no clearance on the mudguard I could get rid of the mudguard it may fit then. However on a wet day mudguards make life so much more pleasant. I could go to 584 rims I suppose.

Latest posts

Back