Bike lock recommendations

Only another 7 pages to beat " the bell, should I get one" thread .

ABUS-giant-padlock.jpg

Given its an ebike and therefore has lots of power drive you along without weight worries, could you install a trunk monkey?

this is a tester video for the hiplock d1000, yes it's £250, but i would say it's a lock that gives the highest chance of your bike being there when you get back.

there are other things to point out. for insurance purposes you need at least a Gold rated "sold secure" lock, usually available from £35, i do a few at my shop, various brands, if you have at least a Gold lock your insurance should pay out without question, if however you simply don't want to deal with that then stump up the cash for the hiplock d1000.

in this video, when you past all the silly attempts like hammer etc, he finally goes at it with a grinder. here's some things to point out. he did eventually get through it, it took 2 1/2 discs to get through only one side, because of the way the lock is you'd still need to get through the other side, that means he'd need 5 discs in total to get through the lock, also he had an electric plugged in grinder, not a crappy little portable thing with a only a small disc, i'd point out that most thieves won't carry 5 plus spare discs and even if they did the battery life at full power which you'd need will only last about 18 minutes and that is a long time to grinding at a lock without someone questioning you grinding a lock.

the d1000 is motorbike and bike rated sold secure diamond level

this is a tester video for the hiplock d1000, yes it's £250, but i would say it's a lock that gives the highest chance of your bike being there when you get back.

there are other things to point out. for insurance purposes you need at least a Gold rated "sold secure" lock, usually available from £35, i do a few at my shop, various brands, if you have at least a Gold lock your insurance should pay out without question, if however you simply don't want to deal with that then stump up the cash for the hiplock d1000.

in this video, when you past all the silly attempts like hammer etc, he finally goes at it with a grinder. here's some things to point out. he did eventually get through it, it took 2 1/2 discs to get through only one side, because of the way the lock is you'd still need to get through the other side, that means he'd need 5 discs in total to get through the lock, also he had an electric plugged in grinder, not a crappy little portable thing with a only a small disc, i'd point out that most thieves won't carry 5 plus spare discs and even if they did the battery life at full power which you'd need will only last about 18 minutes and that is a long time to grinding at a lock without someone questioning you grinding a lock.

the d1000 is motorbike and bike rated sold secure diamond level

Is the thing you lock it to as good?

@mk one well i suppose they are assuming you look to something pretty sturdy, i have to say when i look at those massive back racks in cities that are concreted in to the ground i can't imagine a grinder would get through those, purely because they are too big to get a grinder through, even in they are a tube as opposed to a bar i can't imagine you could bend it out enough to get the lock through, you would have to literally vut a section out, then take the bike, then remove the lock.

@mk one well i suppose they are assuming you look to something pretty sturdy, i have to say when i look at those massive back racks in cities that are concreted in to the ground i can't imagine a grinder would get through those, purely because they are too big to get a grinder through, even in they are a tube as opposed to a bar i can't imagine you could bend it out enough to get the lock through, you would have to literally vut a section out, then take the bike, then remove the lock.

Sadly it has been known

cutrack.jpg

It started to happen a lot with motorbike locks and chains, they got so strong, stopping quick attacks, that it was easier to go through whatever they were chained to, including the wheels and frames themselves. With some modern bicycles costing more than I have spent on any motorbike I can see that happening more with them in the future.

As a deterrent though, probably a really good one, then the insurance side of things as you mentioned being in my opinion the best reason for one.

Back