Project bike recommendations!

drhar

Retro Newbie
I want to resurrect a 90s rigid steel mountain bike to be a fun bridleway shredder/weekend offroad bikepacker. I want it to be a project rather than the finished thing (rolling chassis would be ideal, whether that because components are junked or absent I don't mind!). Not particularly attached to any manufacturer and doesn't need to be rare, I'm in it for performance!

After lurking on here/FB/eBay for a while I'm finding the wealth of options impossible and I'm lost on what was bottom of the range Vs what was a decent bike. Probably willing to spend up to about 150 if I really fall in love so not expecting to get a world beater, just something worth me bringing back to life and light/agile enough for fun!

Any recommendations for what to look out for? More the merrier!

The 'best' era for mountain bikes :cool: . My rides (all rigid) are Saracen Tufftrax Elite, GT Tequesta and Specialized Rockhopper Comp. All ride differently but of the three I really would find it difficult to select a favourite....they are all good.

@drhar think I'm just echoing what everyone else has said, but there's usually some nice Saracen, Marin or Kona stuff floating around on FB marketplace

Look forward to seeing what you end up with 👍

Back