Best place for spokes

Can you get spokes with cut threads? I assumed all spoke threads were rolled.
to my knowledge they are. they need to be as the spoke is the ID of the thread in almost all cases. I've had a few 12 gauge spokes but for the most part they are 14/15 gauge and thus thinner than the OD of the thread and can't be cut.

the cyclo tool is the only one I've ever used, sadly it went to a friend and never came back (neither did he) and I don't make enough wheels to warrant the expenditure.

as to spokes, I buy halo straight gauge on ebay for circa 15 quid, have been using them on builds forever.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
This is an excellent video - look at the punishment to rear wheels in the slo-mo. I want strong wheels when I am doing this stuff. TrueWheels’ building for us (the Grom and me) has been really up to the job.

Aci db at cyclebasket....29p inc nip. I've bought from them several times.

Thanks for that @Tootyred

Usually use DT Comps or Revs on my own wheels but since Rose stopped shipping to the UK they've been harder to find cheap.
I have access to trade pricing but don't generally want 72/100 of each length.
I'll give these a go next time.
My favourite spoke to build with is Sapim CX-Ray but I'm far too tight to use them in my own wheels. :)

I've got a Cyclo tool that I chanced across in a hospice charity shop. From the looks of it hardly used before I bought it.
Back in the day, our workshop had 4 threading tools, 3 were rollers with different gauge heads and the last had a selection of cutting dies.

Rolling threads is not interesting. Need a set of spokes? Cut them to length then spend an evening rolling threads whilst sitting in front of the tv watching something interesting. I've fitted a stop collar on the shaft of the roller so I can produce identical length thread runs without having to stop and measure.
What an amazing, but wonderful find to come across a spoke rolling tool at a charity shop! 👍 :)

Prob our best charity shop find was a Tamiya T-02 FWD chassis for … 4.95
a controller, battery and Golf body shell later….and it was going flat out

it is stupidly fast and enormous fun

Last edited:
Every second had spoke roller ive seen has knackered heads....most of which were long gone makes and models.

The new ones are silly money it seems for anything that looks like it might last...

Every second had spoke roller ive seen has knackered heads....most of which were long gone makes and models.

The new ones are silly money it seems for anything that looks like it might last...
the cyclo heads are still available and cost 36 quid.
I was tempted to build my own and just buy the head.

Back