Best place for spokes

pigman

Old School Grand Master
With all these modern Mavic and Shimano wheels, it's a long time since I built my own wheels. So where does everyone buy spokes from? Nothing out of the ordinary, either small or large flange 3x on 700c stainless DB
I used to buy gross boxes from the manufacturer, is that still possible?

Thx for those leads
Not cheap though, times have changed. nearly £50 to build a pair of wheels. Contrast that with I just bought a pair of Shimano factory wheels, new and complete for £90

People can be "snobby" about spokes, everybody loves dt swiss, but I've personally built loads of wheels with these aci spokes for mates and mates of mates....and never to my knowledge had an issue. I use them on my own mountain bikes with no issues too.....

Some eBay shops also at £6.50 per 36. Unnamed and limited stock sizes and plain gauge only. But maybe ok for some

Too right they're expensive these days. When I built my first wheels for a couple of decades during the pandemic I couldn't work out if spokes are so expensive because wheels now have so few of them or that wheels have fewer spokes because of their price.
Anyway, I bought a gross of the longest I needed and threaded some down for the shorter lengths.

Aci db at cyclebasket....29p inc nip. I've bought from them several times.

You posted just as I replied above
That's the biz, do gross boxes too, cheers
Wow... much better price than Spa Cycles...👍

Back