Best place for spokes

We use TrueWheels in Brighton - they have an amazing stock and two spoke machines for custom lengths - expensive machines from Japan that do rolled threads - much stronger.

we have mtb wheels that have done DH and enduro and have had amazing abuse, with not a single problem or even a need to re true.

I've also built quite a few wheels with the ACI spokes from cyclebasket. Current wheels on my daily have over 15k miles on them and I don't think I've ever touched them. Can recommend them.

what tool do you have? I never owned one, but often considered it.
As I mentioned in my post above, rolled threads are far more durable and stronger than cut threads. So you need something like the Cyclo tool:

with the right head:

Not cheap but very satisfying.

Yes I know the difference between cut and rolled. The article just says they should not be cut. My question was are spokes with a cut thread even available?

I've got a Cyclo tool that I chanced across in a hospice charity shop. From the looks of it hardly used before I bought it.
Back in the day, our workshop had 4 threading tools, 3 were rollers with different gauge heads and the last had a selection of cutting dies.

Rolling threads is not interesting. Need a set of spokes? Cut them to length then spend an evening rolling threads whilst sitting in front of the tv watching something interesting. I've fitted a stop collar on the shaft of the roller so I can produce identical length thread runs without having to stop and measure.

Last edited:
Back