before and after

Nice kit that. Not ever used a high speed spinning morticer thing :shock: im used to the vertical affair. Seems a bit dangerous for what it does.

My advice if i may offer, in that ive been in a few workshops ,is to plan the inside as much as you would of the sheds construction.

Re:

Yup I agree...the planer moves on casters so it can wheel around.got the extractor in the center,both work tables making good use of light...and all the power tools on one stack away from being bashed.it's also got ano oak floor nowith so it's hard wearing.finished the layout this afternoon.

Re:

I'm sorted on planes at the moment. Just sourced a vintage plough plane plus all the blades for a very good deal.I've been trying to get a decent bandsaw or wood turning lathe lately but missed out on a start rite yesterday....what kind of things do you make ?I like boxes at the moment. Just made my wife to be a wedding box.will post a picnic after walking Suzie Q....

Re: Re:

gibbleking":1skeb5dv said:
I'm sorted on planes at the moment. Just sourced a vintage plough plane plus all the blades for a very good deal.I've been trying to get a decent bandsaw or wood turning lathe lately but missed out on a start rite yesterday....what kind of things do you make ?I like boxes at the moment. Just made my wife to be a wedding box.will post a picnic after walking Suzie Q....

Always nice to see other folks fiddlings :cool:

What was the startrite ? A 301 ? a good bandsaw that one. Pretty much all you need and i think you can get a 3/4" blade on it. Last workshop i was in had one.
Ive been using the Record 10" one. rspb or something :? Been on the go some 15 years now at least and is for its small size and minimum capacities surprisingly accurate, even on full depth cuts.

Im qualified in this and worked a in a cabinetmakers, so ill pretty much tackle anything i can get my head around.

Last was an outdoor table, prior ,a box like yourself and currently thinking on a bookcase.
Well actually currently thinking on a bookcase, recliner, settee, 2 sideboard designs, and a console table :LOL:

Re:

it was a 301 and just down the road from me as well..missed out by 50 quid in the end.so today im doing more hunting .heres a quick pic of the box i made.its got a removable base and has inlaid flag in the top and bottom.its got about a 100 parts to it all slotting together with t and g style.also a quick pic of my newish plane purchases.all made from wood that was going to be burned by a neighbour last year.ive now got a shed full of roughcut timber oak,mahogany,pine plus some really odd heavy as hell hardwood that weighs twice what the mahogany does.

Attachments

• DSC05935.JPG
    DSC05935.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC06010.JPG
    DSC06010.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC06011.JPG
    DSC06011.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 467
Nice with the union flag.I like detail put inside, than the usual plain lining. or Felt horror You know you can buy coloured veneers.?

Nice plough plane :cool: still holding money despite it all being routers now. Though i can well appreciate if someone wants to take the time to do it in the old way. Makes it more unique,more personable.

This is my few planes. Had a No5 but flogged it off.

Handmade is more rewarding i find. The work is harder, try handplaning hardwood all day :LOL:
I did this for a member here (Dave)
Did a swop of parts and i got the better deal, in fact Dave effectively sent me a new bulb rear 6 bolt :shock:
So I made him a box using the design from one of the magazines - So not my idea, but my workmanship.

Anyway, back to your shed :) I'd go for some rockwool insulation and 6mm ply linings :? Nice and pleasant now, but wait till winter bites :LOL:

Attachments

• RIMG0155 (Small).JPG
    RIMG0155 (Small).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 447
Re:

I have a couple of wood burners on eBay I'm looking at ...the flu pipes could do with being a tad cheaper though.the plough planew plus all the blades and extras cost a measly 23 quid so I had to have them as they normally cost a lot more..yesterday I tried out the thicknesses on some wood I found .came out yellow with a bright orange sawdust...very nice colour.my missus loves it so much she has all sorts of things I need to make for her.ps shoved my middle finger into my bandsaw yesterday slicing through about half an inch.I've been bandaged and banned from power tools for a week while it heals.bled quite a lot too.grrrrr

Bandsaw is the safest bit of machinery in there :LOL: :LOL: You must have been really trying.
That said, seen pros do the same thing, so as long as its healing ok its just a wee lesson to be learned.
Surface planers are finger eaters :? I mind we did a study on revolution speed, number of knives and how long exactly the finger coming into contact with the knives is. Worked out for the tenth of a second it would take to touch the tooling before snatching your hand away was something like 30 separate slices :? , Even the saw bench or that scary looking morticer of death :shock: would have left something very nasty or crippling.
Possibly the best result there really, the lesson learned, no real damage.

The flue ? Remind me ...that just the 2nd name for the chimney ?, can you not use standard pipe and just lag the outside :? or put a smaller diameter inside it too create a double wall.

PS
that the heavy timber ? Bubinga is an orangey red colour. Can you do me a pic ? A good wipe with meths or water first to show it better

Back