Trimble refresh

Spent a couple of hours refurbing the wheels. - greased bearings, fresh oil in the freehub and a wipe over.

Anyone hoping for a blingy build will sadly be disappointed - no Bullseye hubs here. In '91 the frame wasn't cheap, but i really wanted some of that new fangled front suspension. So economies had to be made and my GT Karakoram K2 was cannibalised and I only bought parts that couldn't be transferred - headset, stem, seatpost front derailleur. Even the GT's u-brake swapped over!

The Deore DX groupset might not set hearts on fire but in those pre-XTR days it was only one down from XT.

The wheels are DX hubs with Ritchey Vantage Comp rims, and to keep the period look a fresh set of Smoke/Darts have gone on.

Attachments

• whwwls.jpg
    whwwls.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 13
I've always assumed this was the reason the later bikes had curved dropouts. But this was just my guess and I'd be happy to hear from anyone with a later bike as to whether this was the case.
Mine were like that, who says e-stays don't get chainslap 😆, it never really got into the frame itself tho, just the paint, my first one was an early X frame that was converted to an inverse, didn't have a frame number but it has a cut out /slim area for the chain but still got the chain slap and rub at the rear cut out.

Love yours, keep the slap area 👍

Mine were like that, who says e-stays don't get chainslap 😆, it never really got into the frame itself tho, just the paint, my first one was an early X frame that was converted to an inverse, didn't have a frame number but it has a cut out /slim area for the chain but still got the chain slap and rub at the rear cut out.

Love yours, keep the slap area 👍
That slap area's going nowhere 👍 Possibly looks worse in the image than it really is. The chain's nibbled at the composite surface, but that's all it is.

I was going to save this clean up and rebuild until after a little knee surgery, but I'm still waiting for that, so I thought I'd make a start.

The Manitou 1s went on the bike when it was originally built in Jan '92 - still have the original warranty card - and I've rebuilt them with fresh elastomers.

Rear mech and chainset are DX and came off my old donor GT. The ControlTech seatpost and stem are the ones fitted back in '92.

The stem has a noodle, which I didn't want at the time, but my dealer couldn't get me a noodle-less one. I've now found one but it needs a little work to bring it up to the same level of wear as this one. Gil's making decals for the post and "new" stem.

Flite saddle is also the original - dated Sept '91. Bars are X-Lite titanium, but the logo is only just visible these days.

That's it for now, there's more parts to be cleaned and hopefully I'll get time to put some more bits on next weekend.

Attachments

• DSCF2399.JPG
    DSCF2399.JPG
    826.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF2392.JPG
    DSCF2392.JPG
    786.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF2394.JPG
    DSCF2394.JPG
    778.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF2398.JPG
    DSCF2398.JPG