Any quick fixes for a stuck BB?

I had one stuck in a frame recently and used a heat gun to gently warm the bb shell up. just so it was hot enough to not touch then she came out no problem. this little rascal was proper stuck in

OTOH I had a stuck BB removed by an LBS mechanic who twatted the axle with a big hammer until it flew out and left the cups in the frame to be removed by sawing through carefully with a hacksaw. This was were the BB splines were chewed so no other option really.

Re:

I hope you recover from your illness quickly and while you do, you can use the patience and PlusGas BB removal method. Regular applications of PlusGas to the BB until you feel strong enough to wield the cheater bar again and of course, regular (medicinal ;) ) doses of cider for yourself to aid your recovery.

Re:

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, Jim Beam was all I had to hand yesterday and that didn't work, five minutes in my Dad's workshop with a bench vice today, and while me and Mum had a cup of tea and a chat, Dad got it out, intact and in very very nice condition! :D

Apparently it was fine once he had the leverage of the frame, as suggested previously.

I still maintain I had 'loosened it off' a bit for him with my efforts....... ;)

For future ref... Home-brew penetrating fluid recipe.

Acetone, available for pennies from beauty salon wholesalers mixed 50/50 with ATF or TQF (Automatic transmission fluid or power steering fluid)... This stuff WORKS :) Also get to a B&M store and buy one of these:

wheelbrace_zpshbseocjw.jpeg

(£4.99 IIRC)
My stuck BB from a 1993 alloy frame came out easy with the above two things...

Back