Stuck Freewheel

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right, rear wheel I've just bought has a stuck Sacsh Freewheel on it!...I've tried to chainwhip & spanner it off. Not a movement! WD-40 Soaked overnight, still no movement. Got the Old Man to take it into work and Vice it. Couldn't shift either!! Any ideas??? I saw the thread on heat, is Hot Boiling water enough or does it need a Gas Torch?...
Otherwise, looks like I'll be selling this Hope wheels as is...

I hope I'm right...Anticlockwise.
Wheel in the frame, pedal & clockwise motion - tightens...or Lefty Loosey...
I'll try the heat...

Deffo Anticlockwise...Maybe try the AngleGrinder too? Not fussed about the Freewheel...need to service the hub's bearings :(

Vice quality is crucial here. Also make sure there is a tyre and tube on for extra leverage and grip.

Had exactly same problem with the freewheel on my Look build. Ended up breaking the vice as the tool was slipping in it.

I bought a really good vice and it came straight off even though it had clearly never been greased.

Well, My Dad's a Toolmaker & he's taken it into the Engineering Company he works for, so I'd guess the machinery in there is genuinely Hardy stuff...He's asking the Burly Welder to have a go & failing that applying some Gas Heat to see if that will free it?...Nice Tip for mounting the Tyre though, I might give that a go if still no joy today...

Back