Seized Seatpost - Revisited

Got the slide hammer, and pulled the sh1t out of it and... no success. Next I'll try freezing the seatpost and use the slide hammer. I'm really running out of options...

Re:

I froze one out the other day. That was soaking for three weeks first. No damage to paint or post.

Re: Re:

coomber":2hxwn598 said:
I froze one out the other day. That was soaking for three weeks first. No sage to paint or post.

Did you use a slide hammer?

My next step is to freeze it and then use the slide hammer.

n

Re:

No I didn't need a slide hammer. My post was pretty stuck too. Failed my usual methods.

From my other thread...

The above [plumbers freeze spray can] was a tenner from plumbase.

Half a tube in from the top and.... Nothing. Did make it cold though.

So thought I might as well use the can before trying something else. Used some magura tubing so I could spray it down from below via the bottom bracket.like this

Now the whole seat tube went white.

gave it a twist and it moved! A little. Two minutes later...

Seat tube isn't too dirty

I've probably taken seven or eight very stuck seat posts out now. This is by far and away the best method I've used. I won't use any other now.

It's harmless
It's easy to do
It's quick
It doesn't damage bike or post or paint

Come out nice and clean!
Looking at the saddle frame I guess it's taken a beating before the freezing!! Out of interest hot did you pull it out after freezing it? By hand? Wrench?

Re:

Sorry I didn't get notice you replied.

I stood on a junk seat and twisted the bike upside down (i.e. surface of saddle on floor and looking down at the bottom bracket near my chest). This was after penetrating oil for a few weeks. Seat gave up the ghost first!

I didn't need any other tools to get it out with freeze spray. I didnt think it would work to be honest so wasnt that well prepared. Gave it a try and didnt budge using a quarter of the can. Sprayed the rest and then twisted it out by hand. One little twist to free it up and then it slid out like a nicely greased seatpost should.

Another trick to try is to heat up the post and press a candle to it and let the wax run down into the seat tube. Just make sure everything is warm enough for the wax to stay melted all the way down.

Re:

Not doubting that but how does a thick liquid like wax help? if penetrating oil doesn't work?

Re:

Been hammering the sh*t out of it for half an hour till my hands are numb.

Nothing.

d00eae02ecb445d6476ae28fc378045b_zps0aagu9iv.jpg

Back