Seized Seatpost - Revisited

Re: Re:

coomber":kjvex1yv said:
No I didn't need a slide hammer. My post was pretty stuck too. Failed my usual methods.

From my other thread...

The above [plumbers freeze spray can] was a tenner from plumbase.

Half a tube in from the top and.... Nothing. Did make it cold though.

So thought I might as well use the can before trying something else. Used some magura tubing so I could spray it down from below via the bottom bracket.like this

I've probably taken seven or eight very stuck seat posts out now. This is by far and away the best method I've used. I won't use any other now.

It's harmless
It's easy to do
It's quick
It doesn't damage bike or post or paint

Removed a few in my time by various methods, but have heard off a few this is the least damaging and easiest. I tried the other day and ended up spraying a whole can down inside the post from the top. Couldnt get a good grip on the post as nothing left to attatch a saddle anymore :roll: was/am going to try from below, through the bb but didnt have any tubing. I was wondering how far up you put the hose? was it all the way into the seat post or just below and still in the seat tube?

Cheers

Mark

I used a 15cm tube down in the frame, and sprayed the whole can of freeze gas to no avail. So frustrating! I even used the slide hammer after I froze it and it didn't move a bit. I'm really running out of options except caustic soda which I've been avoiding.

Still bashing away here too. 200mm of post in tube. :cry: :facepalm:

Soon be hacksaw time.

Re:

Once you've used the caustic soda, you will be kicking yourself for all those wasted hours! It's fun too, like being back in science class at school! :D

This frame has given me so much headaches already...

I cut the seat post about 1" above the frame and corked it. Then from the BB hole I filled it with the Caustic Soda solution with the frame turned upside down. It appeared that it was doing it's thing - gas, fumes, bubbles, heat, and then it died down. I've used 1.5lbs of lye already mixed with water 1:3 ratio and STILL it hasn't eaten the seat post. Unbelievable! As if this seat post is made of aluminum and steel combination or something as it's not giving up easy!

I soaked mine in coke cut as far as I could down in to 4 sections the got a pair of plyers bent them in and twisted out

Yeah, I'll get to the bottom of it - I've spend more money on freeing the seatpost already than the whole bike. Of course the seatpost is gone, so I have to factor the replacement price too... my only explanation is that it was the wrong size and rammed into the frame... over 10 years ago, then corrosion really got to it.

Back