Alpinestars almega frame

That bare frame is a 92, and it's been subjected to a fair bit of butchering but it could be rescued with a front mech mount welded on. I can give exact measurements if anyone wants to know.

As for the cable guides - the top tube had the rear brake and rear mech in a pair, welded on. The down tube had a front mech cable guide riveted on, so this frame needs them all and you could go for a triple all across the top and use a top pull front mech, maybe using a BB-mounted one? But for authenticity/originality then a bottom pull direct mount/braze on is needed.

As for the forks, they're a standard threaded headset using a clap on stem like an a-head type. It's 1 1/4". They're also rare so keep them with the frame.

Hope this helps.

Re:

The top tube cable guides are riveted on my almega dx.
Doesn't the repairing of these frames ruin the heat treating making the area next to the repair weak?

Re: Re:

mattb":muiw6g1h said:
The top tube cable guides are riveted on my almega dx.
Doesn't the repairing of these frames ruin the heat treating making the area next to the repair weak?

I just checked pics of both my 92 Al Megas and they are indeed riveted on, sorry for the misinformation! (91 were welded on the top but riveted on the down tube ;) )

I can't speak for the metallurgy involved, but as a 24/25 year old aluminium frame, it'll be weakened anyway. I can't see how a bit of extra welding by adding a mount for the mech would do much if any harm, but maybe someone better qualified can give a more accurate answer.

mattb":2gxm0ldw said:
Many thanks,I've sent him a message. Do you know him on here?

Nope, I've never had any dealings personally, but the seller has been on here for a while now. I just spotted both this and your post earlier and joined the dots..

It looks like it's in great condition - I hope that you can make a deal :)

mynchiboy":2yjnkqiq said:
mattb":2yjnkqiq said:
Many thanks,I've sent him a message. Do you know him on here?

Nope, I just spotted both this and your post earlier and joined the dots..

It looks like it's in great condition - I hope that you can make a deal :)
I
It's stunning. There's a thread about it on mtb-news.de

Right size for you too Matt ;) Also worth it imo. Hit BIN on eBay to be sure :p

Good luck.

Back